Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Barn

L'Enfant Plaza is not known for its shopping options (or dining options, for that matter). In fact, it's a pretty sorry mall-ish area all around. And I'm stuck there forty hours a week trying to stay sane.

(It was nice to be in Chinatown today for my eye exam - I miss the feel of being downtown. I may have even picked up a veggie burrito from Chipotle, just for nostalgia's sake. And it may have been SO GOOD. Side note: remember when I used to get free food there every time I went in? I saw that guy at the Nick Swardson show last Friday. He approached me and said, "This might sound weird, but do you remember getting free burritos at Chipotle in Chinatown?" He's working somewhere else now, but he remembered me. Lord, this makes me sound like I went there all the time, and I swear, I didn't!)

So imagine my surprise over the last few weeks, when walking by the DRESS BARN, I did a double-take each time. The dresses in the window were gorgeous! Dress Barn? Really?

But I never went in. (I think you know where this is going.)

I've been bringing my lunch lately, so I haven't had the pleasure of roaming the halls of the L'Enfant Promenade, except in the morning. Today, I craved strawberries and headed for one of the buffets. I passed the DRESS BARN and took a noticeable pause in front of the display window.

"That dress is adorable. I could totally see myself wearing it this summer. I mean, it's flowy and pretty and I wonder how much i... what the hell am I rambling about? It's the DRESS BARN. Those clothes can't be well-made and be that inexpens... But look at the pretty wrap dress! and the pretty prints! and does that one have a sash? I simply must hav... STOP IT. Go get the biscuit and go back upstairs or else I'm going to find myself buying chocolate at CVS. GOD."

And then...

OH MY GOD, I WENT IN.

I went into the DRESS BARN and LOOKED AROUND.

And you know? Not bad. The prices were reasonable, the fabric wasn't horrible, but sizes started at 4 , so I was out of luck. Still. It's good to know that judging a store by its name isn't always the best idea.

4 comments:

inowpronounceyou said...

One of my clients in in Lenfant and I'm there all the time. THe on ly place worth a damn for lunch is the hotel restaurant...and who can do that every day?

Heather said...

The chinese place is decent, if you're in the mood. Cashew chicken!

But other than that, L'enfant blows.

Anonymous said...

that's hilarious. why? because i go through the same dilema every day when i pass the dress barn by my work. i actually did go in one time, too, but i couldn't find any size 4's. but yeah, the dresses always look so adorable, but except for that one time, i could never let myself dare to shop there!

Heather said...

a, the one in farragut? Amazing.

INPY, all the time, eh? That's interesting...