Saturday, May 26, 2007

Portobello Road

On Saturday mornings, tourists and locals alike head to Portobello Road, the world's largest antiques market, in Notting Hill. We got up early and were out the door by 8:30 (the first and only time that this has happened so far during my visit).

Streets throughout the city are marked by signs on buildings,
rather than street corners.
Woolworth's! Remember those?

A street performer entertains the earlybirds.

Vendors pridefully display their wares.
And these wares are simply beautiful. And delicious.

Many houses in Notting Hill boast famous former residents.
This was the most famous name. That I actually recognized.

Peppers and aubergines (eggplants).

Boas. I wanted to wrap myself in all of them.

It's a good thing that SOMEone could see over the crowds.

I'm not sure who this is supposed to be, but he reminded me of the mural in Ann Arbor on Liberty and State Street.

The market was just amazing - there were so many different vendors, and if you like antiques, you would pretty much be able to find whatever it is you desire. I passed on the 100-year-old copy of Pride and Prejudice, but I made all sorts of other purchases including a great bag and a cute pair of (new) shoes.

And a bracelet.

And an Audrey print.

And a few pashminas.

Yeah, it was awesome.

2 comments:

Shane said...

...Streets where the riches of ages are sold. Anything and everything a chap can unload ...

Heather said...

Man. I had to google that reference to figure it out. Haven't seen that film in years!

Nicely done.