Friday, February 02, 2007

A Walking Tour of L'Enfant Promenade

I told you I would do it.

My office recently relocated to L'Enfant Plaza from Chinatown, and while I enjoy my new enormous office and cartwheel space, the L'Enfant Promenade left me wanting... more. No longer is Five Guys an option for lunch, and popping into Urban Outfitters for a shirt or fun gift is now but a fleeting dream. Now, I have the choice of McDonald's for a burger and Dress Barn for a sweater. Both leave me nauseous. In other news, Dress Barn? Really?

Here is a sampling of all that the L'Enfant Promenade has to offer. I snapped these shots after leaving work one night at 7:00 p.m.; so the shops were closed and I only got the signs. Trust me, you won't be disappointed:

Ah, one of the center displays. This one is for Hallmark. I think that it is advertising Valentine's gifts for that special couple. You know, when the woman doesn't realize that her boyfriend's still closeted and doesn't like to be touched. Ever.

US Kids. I was unsure whether this meant "us as in all of us kids," or U.S. children. Then I saw the American flag. It's an interesting boutique - mostly off-brand toys that no child would ever want and baby clothes. No wonder everything is always on sale.

Once you clothe your child in an American flag onesie, bring him here to Supertots! It's a training ground for super children. Like on Heroes. I'd imagine. He'll be bench-pressing more than you in a mere week.

It's everything I've ever wanted! And it's all for me!

And finally, my favorite shop. They make no secret of the classiness of this boutique. I guess if it was spelled simply, "Shoes," I would not be tempted to go inside. Of course, if it was spelled, "Shoes," maybe they'd have something other than size 11 cross-dresser pumps.

This is only the corridor nearest my office, as I was exhausted and wanted to go home but could not pass up the chance to snap pictures with no one to get in my way. I will share this little tidbit with you, however: Oh's Cafe, a Chinese restaurant, is lovely. But after dining there you will not be showing anyone your 'Oh Face.' Trust me.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh's gave me the poops on my last day. Of course, I also had the poops today, so maybe it's not job related.

TMI? I DON'T GIVE A F*CK!!!!

Heather said...

I love you Steeze.

Em said...

I just love reading your blog. It makes me happy. Best part is I can totally hear you saying this stuff in my head!! I heart you.

Heather said...

I heart you too, EmFace. Obviously!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea such sweet, sweet shopping was so close! And I complain that there is nothing in my neighborhood!

Heather said...

I know, Laurel! Look no further than the L'Enfant Promenade!

Elisha said...

I worked at L'Enfant many years ago, and all of the stores you mentioned were there then too (this was back in 2000-2004). Even Shooze. Please tell me Kelechi African Authentics still has that statue with the huge genitals in the window (if it's still there at all)

Heather said...

Elisha - I'm pretty sure that most of those stores are gone now. Of course, I moved to Michigan in November 2007, so I'm not positive. But man, Shooze was awesome.