Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Now I'm Hungry

I got tagged, and at a great time, really -- I'm home sick and really, really tired of daytime tv. I've been to lots of restaurants around here, and though I've had some fabulous meals, these are the ones I frequent.

Here, then, are my five favorite DC restaurants, in no particular order:

Ella's
Ella's is my favorite Happy Hour in town. I started going in the fall of 2003 and have been a regular ever since. The thin crust pizzas are covered in inventive toppings. The drinks - especially the sangria - are different than anywhere else. Ask Mike (the best bartender in town) for his pineapple basil martini.

Alero
I'm partial to the Cleveland Park location, just because I have some happy memories there; the food at the other two locations is just as good! I have yet to find a Mexican restaurant to rival my hometown favorite, but Alero comes pretty close. I always end up ordering the chimichangas, guacamole, and a big, fat margarita. It's a fun atmosphere with great service.

Zaytinya
Zaytinya is an amazing tapas restaurant with an Eastern Mediterranean/Middle Eastern focus. I've tried things there that I never thought I would... and loved every single thing. The wine list is extensive and our server has never failed to recommend a great one. The tapas come out as they're ready, so you never wait long.

Matchbox
Lots of people will claim Matchbox among their favorites, so there is almost always a wait. But the food is pretty good, from the mini hamburgers to the salads to the pizzas. The ambiance is one of the best in town, and it's a great date place. I always try and take first time DC visitors here.

Thai Chili
I love Thai food, and this is the best of the many I've tried here in DC. While I'm a total creature of habit, ordering the Panang Chicken each time, I have tried several other things once in a while, and they've all been excellent. Besides the food, I love this place for the decor, the service, and the atmosphere.

And now I'm supposed to tag 5 more people...

Deals
Emily
INPY
K-10
Jeff

Have at it!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Man, I just realized that 4 of these 5 places are in Chinatown. Maybe I need to expand my territory...

Chris said...

Why no link for K-10?

Heather said...

No blog for K-10. She's planning some guest posts here, though.

Unknown said...

London's best restos to be posted soon as a comment, Mr. Write Now...just as soon as I finish my exam on WMD this afternoon! Grad school is too busy kicking my ass for me to have time to eat right now!

Heather, shall be brainstorming for my amazing posts this weekend. Maybe I'll even post whilst you're here. You'll be here in 4 days!!!!