Thursday, March 09, 2006

Polite = Free! I think...

A month or so ago, I was waiting in a fairly long line at the Chinatown Chipotle. The line really didn't matter - I had been thinking about my veggie burrito all morning while wasting away at work. So there I am, lah di dah, waiting. I get up to the front, order my stuff ("extra rice, please!"), and about halfway down the assembly line (I am so a Detroit girl), this Manager-type guy says,

"Hello! Thank you for coming in today!"


Now, I don't know what I said in return. I'm sure I said hello. I know I said something about guacamole (because, YUM), but I don't know what else. I think that I might have said the magic word he was waiting for, because when I made it to the register and got my cup to fuel my Coke addiction, the cashier said, "Thanks for coming in today!" as he handed me my bag o' burrito.


"How much?" I asked.


"It's on us today!" he chirped back at me.


"No, no... that's okay." as I push my money toward him.


Manager-type guy comes over and says, "I've got it today. You can pay next time."


"...Okay. Thanks!" I backed away slowly a few steps before finally turning around.


What did I say or do? I mean, I always make it a point to be polite in restaurants of any kind - I see no reason for why people can't be nice. Hell, I even say "please" and "thank you" in the McDonald's drive-thru. Was this a reward for being nice? Or was I just the one hundredth person in line?



I guess it wasn't such a surprise - I chalked it up to good luck and good timing. But I went to Chipotle this past Tuesday night - after working an hour later than usual - and the line was a little longer than I expected because a Wizards game started in a half hour. So I jumped in the line, busied myself with texting, and slowly made my way to the front of the line.

Halfway down the assembly line, who do I see? Manager-type Guy. He smiles.


"Thanks for visiting us again!" he exclaimed perkily.


"Yeah!" I can't believe he remembers me.


He nods something to the cashier. I SWEAR.


I stepped up to pay, and the exact same thing happens.


"Hi, good to see you!" (He apparently remembers me too) . "Thanks for coming in today! It's on us!" Same cashier.


"Really? Thanks!"


And I left.


I love Chipotle. Don't you?


~ ~ ~

Another good story involves me and the smoothie stand in Union Station's Food Court. I love their smoothies. Fresh strawberries with strawberry frozen yogurt. Sometimes I get bananas, too. YUM. The owner knows me - I get one at least twice a week. He now gives me an orange with each smoothie.

That probably has more to do with being a repeat customer than having good timing. But I'll take it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky! The only time I get free food is from Mike the bartender. And he gives everyone free stuff.

Deals On Wheels said...

I'm jealous. I get free nothing.

*sigh*

It's probably becuase you are cute and wee. Big and tall gets you nowhere...

Anonymous said...

HSP that post made me smile. It is great when good things happen. Even better when it happens twice! 3 whole days and then we will be there!!!!

Heather said...

It is great when good things happen. I recommend the Chipotle in Chinatown, obviously, and you should definitely check out the smoothie place in Union Station. It's in the food court across from the candy store. Do it!

Mike the bartender doesn't give us free stuff anymore though. I think that he got sick of not getting tips. So that sucks...

Anonymous said...

I think it is because you are a wee little thing. Chipotle manager has a crush on HP! Hehe. I haven't had Chipotle in forever!