Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Vices

I try to keep myself healthy. I really do. I am hopelessly addicted to edamame, I eat very little red meat, and I drink way more than the recommended eight glasses of water a day. I walk everywhere, mostly. I don't smoke and I rarely drink.

And yet...

Heart-shaped suckers. I absolutely LOVE these, even though they are nothing more than sugar... dyed red. On a stick. My favorite Valentine's Day treat.

My dentist hates me.

Caramel Hersey kisses. Yum! I don't have these very often, but there are those days at work when they are completely necessary.

Ah, Coke. My nemesis and my friend. I love it and it loves me right back. It cures my headaches, my hangovers, and my bad moods.

And yet, I have given it up (along with all pop) for Lent. I have a feeling that I won't be crawling back to it come Easter, mostly because the last few weeks since Ash Wednesday have been good: I feel better, my skin looks great, and the headaches have subsided. I've substituted green tea for my caffeine fix, and sweet drinks are too much for me now. And that's good.

I have other food and drink vices, of course: I love a good baked potato soup, even though it's cream and carbs, homemade buttered popcorn on the stove completely makes a movie night, and a root beer float always cures a bad day.

Anything in moderation, right?

No comments: