Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dues? Paid. Dues PWNED.

Monday was a bad day, work-wise. Boss was at her passive-aggressive best and the email war between us escalated for a while before I finally gave up and let her win. Anyone who knows me personally is aware of my always-have-to-be-right attitude and know how HARD it is for me to admit when I'm wrong. I'm working on it, I really am, but it doesn't mean that it's getting easier.

Giving up and letting boss have her way? Definitely easier.

But.

I then started re-reading the emails, and I started to get angry again. The under-my-breath mutterings of "bitch" and "shut the fuck up" were soon escalating, and I knew that I had to knock it off before the whole office overheard my wrath.

So I posted my resume online.

...

Lord.

I received an email from some company in Reston after about twenty minutes. I looked them up, quickly decided that I had negative interest, and deleted the email. About two hours later, while talking to K-10, I got a call.

"Hi this is Noelle! at Company X! I was doing a resume search on X Job Site, and your resume popped right up!"

She! Was! So! Excited!

Yeah, it was the same company that emailed me.

Noelle! then said, "We put a few key words in the search and we are really interested in bringing you in for an interview!"

O...kay. "What is the position?" I calmly asked.

"It's mainly filing and secretarial (!!!), and you'd be one of our receptionists!"

"Oh my. [pause]. I'm not interested." Perhaps I cut her off quicker than she was anticipating, because I don't think that she even heard the "I'm sorry" I had immediately offered next. CLICK!

She hadn't read my resume at all. That was painfully clear.

I know that DC is filled to the brim with overqualified people with too many degrees, but I've done the receptionist thing. I've done it to death. Most people have, right? I'm not doing it again. I'm not trying to get up on my high horse, but I have my MA. I've paid my dues. I'm SO not taking a giant leap backwards!

So, I'm sorry, Noelle!. I hope you found someone else to file those papers.

(!!!)

No comments: