Monday, March 12, 2007

Aveda

My old job was beyond horrific, but I did get to work with the interns - something I love to do. If it wasn't for them, I would have probably cried more than during my average once a day sojourn to the ladies room. It was difficult to welcome interns to that unholy place, mostly because throwing them into such a caustic environment seemed cruel and unusual. For the most part, they left with good experience, but hardened.

Though her work was great, one of our interns was unhappy, mostly because her supervisor was the one of Satan's minions <shudder>, and she ended up leaving the internship prematurely. She graduated from American University and soon went on to a very lucrative position in her field (financial something or other...). After some time there, she realized that it just wasn't for her, and started anew at the Aveda Institute.

I ran into her last November, and she was so happy. She had been trying to get me to make an appointment for a cut for weeks, and I finally made it in.

People. Let me just tell you. Amazing.

You are led to your stylist's work area, offered tea, and after describing your preferred style, she then takes your picture (for her portfolio) and sketches your styling desires onto a worksheet. Her supervisor then appears (as if from nowhere!), and either approves or vetoes the proposed cut.

You then experience a scalp massage with soothing oils. After a few minutes, your hair looks like Lindsay Lohan's (or, insert name of any overexposed starlet) after a six day bender, but it's wonderful. Then a neck and shoulder massage before the shampoo.

Before your cut is final, the supervisor returns to make any necessary alterations, and you're good to go. The whole process takes about two hours, so you have to make sure that you have the time. But really, for $18, it's more than worth your time. They're also usually booked a few weeks in advance, so plan accordingly.

Aveda Institute DC
713 7th Street, NW (Chinatown)
202.824.1624

2 comments:

Waayers said...

Only $18??? Shut UP! If I had known that I would have gone a long time ago.

Heather said...

Yeah, it's totally worth it.