Friday, March 30, 2007

To Move, Or Not to Move

My bitches,

I am so confused.

I think that it's finally time to move on to a new house, what with the:

Yes, that's inside the house.

and the:

(Adam just told me that he wore his Columbia parka to bed that week).

and of course, the:

Looks like the door is almost ajar, yes? No. That's a "closed" door. Awesome!
And we wonder why the gas bill is so high.


We started searching for new accommodations a few weeks ago, and we recently found the most amazing, most lovely, most jealousy-inducing townhouse that I have ever seen. It's perfect, it's awesome, and it's got all new appliances. And we can afford it.

Annnnnnd it's on the other side of the H Street corridor in Northeast.

[crickets]

It's just over H street, so it's not fully enclosed by the ghetto, but I definitely got that not-so-safe feeling as I walked there in broad daylight. Then I drove by it last night, and it... wasn't great.

I wouldn't be so conflicted if the place wasn't amazingly perfect in every. other. way. The master suite - which will be mine - has gorgeous hardwood floors, a closet that I could live in, my own full bath, a GD FIREPLACE, and the whole bay window prettiness.

The kitchen is beyond my wildest dreams with the appliances and ample counter space. The dining room is bigger than my current bedroom, the living room has a huge fireplace, and the bay window lets in more light than I thought possible in a townhouse.

I seriously don't have enough furniture to fill this place.

I can picture having our fourth annual Thanksgiving Dinner there, and everyone would have ample space to sit and talk and drink and be merry. We wouldn't have to crowd around the little coffee table, because I would have a large, lovely dining set (oh, I'll get one. I'll get one for cheap).

That is - if I can get people to come over at all.

It's amazing how quickly a neighborhood can change. This house is just five blocks further from Union Station than our current house, yet one's comfort level drops dramatically with each block.

No longer will I have my cute neighborhood coffee shop on the corner and excellent restaurants within three blocks. They'll be replaced by a Foot Locker, two liquor stores, and a shuttered deli that boasts, "BREAKFAST CHICKEN FISH."

Sigh.

I don't know what to do.

Should I buy pepper spray, a rape whistle, and keep money on hand for cabs? Or should I keep looking?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! This is Elizabeth (Craig) Bender. God, its been a really long time. How's life treating you?? I enjoy reading your blogs. I found you off of Mandi's myspace account.Take care of you.

Heather said...

Beth Craig - no way! Send me an email if you get a chance!

heather.dcdonut@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Take the place! My neighborhood is coming around. It's only a matter of time. How close is the metro?

Heather said...

It was about 10 blocks from Union Station. And we decided against it, actually. Mostly because the third girl backed out. Ah, well.