Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I Am Aware, Correct?

I absolutely abhor the phrase, "I know, right?"

It makes me cringe when I hear it, usually fresh from the mouth of a fresh-faced co-ed, laden with purchases from Pentagon City or the shops of Georgetown:

"Those jeans from fcuk are soooo perfect for you, Missy!"

And then...

"I know, right?"

Ugh.

It's even more painful coming from an obviously intelligent, well-bred woman:

"That film was just brilliant. The theme was risky, but powerful."

"I know, right?"

GOD.

I hear it in stores, in bars, waiting in line at the movies, and on the metro. It's everywhere! How did this assault on the English language originate, anyway? On Laguna Beach or some shit? I don't watch that drivel, but I imagine it came from MTV or some "reality" show. Anyone know for sure?

Hearing it immediately forces me to my happy place, just so I don't have to hear anything more of what is destined to be an inane conversation. It is definitely one of my biggest pet peeves (along with names of stores being spelled incorrectly for kitsch value: Kelly's Korner? STUPID. It's unfortunately a shop in my hometown, which should tell you something. Way to go, Downriver!).

This horrifying phrase is pretty much a cop-out: it immediately truncates the flow of a conversation by forcing the burden of conversation to the other, more gifted individual. Using this "phrase" gives the impression that one is uneducated and crass.

So just stop it. STOP IT. Use proper English and carefully-chosen words. When someone compliments your haircut or your penmanship, respond appropriately, "Thank you very much," or compliment him/her in kind.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the most annoying phrases ever.

Heather said...

People who use it need an immediate time-out.

Em said...

I know, right........

Anonymous said...

yep, it DID come from Laguna Beach. How'd ya guess?
yeah it's kind of rude the way people use it, usually to shut you up when they're sick of hearing you talk.

Heather said...

Interesting. So it's kind of an insult as well?