Monday, March 26, 2007

Relief

Oooh, excellent. Maybe now the controversy will end.

"Small, the first Smithsonian secretary who was not a scientist or an academic, brought a corporate mentality to an institution that long resembled a university campus. The result was a culture clash, with Small pushing to rename facilities after wealthy donors, for example. That offended longtime Smithsonian researchers who thought he was compromising the institution's values." Washington Post, 3/27/07, page A01

I think that I just heard a massive, collective sigh across the Institution. The new Acting Secretary is very well-respected here, so that's a good sign. Hopefully the selection process will be as painless as possible.

Who gets the $4000 chairs?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not just $4000 chairs. FUGLY CHAIRS.

Anonymous said...

But I just have to say, $4000 for "nice" chairs for what really is supposed to be the nicest office in the Institution isn't bad. Just open up your Crate & Barrel Catalogue and compare! Furniture ain't cheap people. As for the repairs to his lap pool...I got nothin.

Heather said...

Steeze, you crack me up.

And I completely agree, anony. I just wonder how bad the previous chairs actually were...