Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Recipe for HAPPY

My grandpa's not doing too well, so I've been a bit of a wreck. And yesterday was awful. My mom had been giving me updates for the past week, and I hadn't really spoken to my dad about the situation, even though it's his father. So when I talked to him yesterday, just to touch base, the mere sound of his voice resulted in my sobs.

He felt awful, of course, even though it was nowhere near his fault. All he said was, "Hi my honey," and I lost it. (I blame this.) I was a mess, but I was looking forward to hanging out with Merrick that night. She knew she what she would be dealing with, and she did not disappoint, let me tell you.

We grabbed dinner at Red Mei, shopped at Trader Joe's, and then headed south on route 1 for a surprise. I tried guessing, but she wasn't having it (I was right about the quick stop at Krispy Kreme. I was wrong about going to Walmart. Which was fine. She knows that I want no part of that).

And then, well... just look:

We flirted, but that mouse just did NOT give in.

I kicked her little southern butt in air hockey.
Hockeytown REPRESENT.

This approach resulted in the ball being thrown back in her face.

My 55 tickets just narrowly beat her 48.
Look at our pretty rings!

I am so grateful to have such an amazing, loving friend in my life. Thank you, Merrick. I love you so much!

2 comments:

JLR said...

I hope that you're hanging in there! And I'm glad you have someone that can take your mind off of things.

Heather said...

jlr - Thank you! I'm hanging in and telling myself that no news is good news.