Sunday, October 14, 2007

Food Network Fanaticism

I love the Food Network. I don't watch much television, but on some weekends, the Food Network rules my life. (And if my roommate is watching tv, you can bet that it will be a channel showing a CSI or Law & Order marathon. Although she doesn't see the humor in David Caruso's overacting on CSI: Miami, I do. I love it. I wouldn't watch the damn show if I couldn't see Horatio Caine take his sunglasses on and off. It wouldn't be nearly entertaining, what with the murdered people and all.)

But this is about me! Me!!! And the Food Network.

I learned to cook early in life, watching The Lady in the kitchen. I've become quite experimental with my cooking (sometimes I'm naked!), now that I've been living on my own for almost ten years.

When I was in college, I made the same meals over and over again: spaghetti (with homemade sauce, though), meatloaf, um... cereal. Etc. You know, the simple stuff.

Watching the food network has changed that. Well, that and gaining a more refined palate, I'm guessing. Things that I wouldn't have touched a few years ago (asparagus!) are now staples in my kitchen. Sweets and preservatives are basically gone, though the homemade apple cinnamon muffins last weekend were totally worth the extra few miles of running.

I think that this is all possible because the Food Network has made cooking accessible. No longer do the tv chefs whip up meals that I could only get by going to a restaurant. And even if they do, they make it look easy. I would also argue that the popularity of these programs has increased the number of former hard-to-find items in our general grocery stores, though that's just my opinion.

But I love the Food Network and its many cooking personalities.

If I had to choose, I choose Nigella Lawson as my favorite. I actually mark my calendar to remind me that her show is only on at 10:30 Sunday mornings. She makes meals to satisfy, and she doesn't shy away from using butter or too much olive oil.

Because of the Food Network, Rachael Ray has become a reputable force of nature. A hurricane, if you will. She has more than a few shows that air on the channel, and her annoying phrases and terms ("EVOO," "Yum-o," etc. How about, shut UP?) have become household utterances. She annoys the ever-living crap out of me (and I'm far from the only one to feel this way), but I love her. I love her 30 Minute Meals and I love her charisma. It makes no sense. Of any Food Network chef, hers are the recipes that I cook the most.

The chef of Everyday Italian, Giada De Laurentiis, is pretty hot. And she cooks! I've made many of her recipes, and they are to die for. I've also learned that Italian cooking isn't all about pasta. Of course, I have to mention what my friend Jeff once said, "Never trust a thin Italian chef. Also, her head is huge." Make up your own mind there. Plus, on her show today, I spied a carton of Trader Joe's chicken stock in her fridge. So she rules. Love the TJ's!

I recently caught an airing of The Gourmet Next Door, starring the winner of The Next Food Network Star, Amy Finley, and I loved it! She made a gorgeous bistro meal and made it look easy. Pretty much all I'm asking for from these people.

Tyler Florence seems nice and accessible - like that guy who lived in your hall freshman year who would help you when your computer crashed but wouldn't come on to you. (Which was fine. I totally didn't have a crush on him, either, so it's fine that we never went out. I mean, not me, this girl. My roommate. Wait, what?). Like another chef on said network, he doesn't seem completely full of himself , and he makes amazing "ultimate" meals. While I sit and watch him cook, my mouth waters and everything, but I haven't been inspired enough to try any of his recipes. I'm sure I will soon, though.

Alton Brown is simply amazing. He's hilarious and entertaining and I learn fun facts while watching Good Eats. He made donuts the other day. Mmmm...

I could go through the list of chefs on the Food Network, but it would be all for nought. These are my favorites.

7 comments:

Waayers said...

I have a HUGE crush on Tyler Florence. I love him.

And why no love for Paula Dean? Is it because she puts three pounds of butter in everything? I could watch her all day, even though I can feel my arteries hardening just from watching her eat.

Unknown said...

I'm confused as to who Tyler Florence reminds you of....surely not Binford!

Also, I still live off of pasta and cereal...even though I live in the land of Nigella.

Unknown said...

to whom....loving the grammar today.

Heather said...

Haha, Binford! The RA from nerd hell. Amazing.

No, there really wasn't anyone, though I did have a crush on several of those boys at one point.

Heather said...

waayers - The butter is just too much for me to handle and she just gets too preachy for my tastes.

JLR said...

I love Tyler Florence! And Alton Brown.

Heather said...

Tyler Florence is super dreamy.