Sunday, October 07, 2007

Hello? Fall?

Saturday. Fall. Me. D.C. This usually this means one thing: A nice, crisp morning and an early visit to Eastern Market.

Well, at least one thing was spot on.

It was ninety degrees here yesterday. NINETY! And, um... it's October. Hello? Fall? Will you be arriving now, or in January? Inquiring minds would like to know. And plan their wardrobes accordingly.

Silly, oblivious monarch, thinking it's still August...

I loooooooove fall. Well, I love fall in the Midwest, actually, but fall here is...
acceptable. I guess. You see, I love sweaters and crispness, the apple orchard and the pumpkin patch. I love the colors of the leaves and the smell in the air.

But here, I sweat on my walk to work, because it's 70-something degrees at 7:30 in the morning. Which is obnoxious. Forget about crispness - humidity is here to stay... through December! Seriously! There are a few apple orchards in the area, but I've found none with cider mills, and so what's the point? And pumpkin patches are generally nothing more than a table of pumpkins rather than a field ripe for the picking.

As for the leaves, they turn lovely shades of yellow... but little else. The smell in the air? Is humid a smell?

Yes, I know that I am complaining - and more than usual! But when it comes to my favorite season, and my current location isn't cutting it, I tend to get a little homesick.

Yesterday was fine, though. Eastern Market was in great shape - all of the fall things were in residence:

Neato gourds.

Happy sunflowers.

Squash/gourds that looked like geese. Weird!

And here I am posing next to the broccoli with my brand new bag! Thanks to Megan for the awesome tote! Also, aren't I super pretty in the morning? Heather no likey makeup in the early morning. And even though it doesn't look like it, I did shower. Pinky swear.

I'll be jetting back to Michigan in early November, so I'll hopefully get to see some pretty leaves then. And get some cider. And watch some football.

No comments: