Wednesday, April 25, 2007

It's Comcastic!

Except... not.

I worked through lunch on Friday, just so I could leave early. This basically translates to = I am a complete moron and should have at least just gotten lunch and eaten it at my desk. But no.

Comcast was due to arrive between 4:00 and 7:00, so I left work at 3:30, which should have been way more than enough time to get there. Until I was ambushed by the Greenpeace people. I blew off the first one, mumbling that I was running late, but she must have been new as she gave up immediately. Not so for the seasoned veteran...

Veteran: "Hey! You look like someone who cares about the environment!"

Fantastic. Really? I do? Can you see it in my eyes?

Heather: "Yeah, I sure love birds. Gotta go."

Veteran: "I can see you're in a hurry, but can I tell you all about our issues?"

Sigh.

Heather: "If you can move fast... I've got an appointment."

Veteran: "Oh, great! I'll just walk with you!"

The fuck? I had to give the kid credit for his determination and support for his cause, but seriously, leave me the hell alone.

He hauled ass alongside me (I walk pretty fast) for about four blocks before giving up (he was out of breath when I finally stopped). I actually took his information in case I for some reason decided to join -- I wanted him to get his "commission." He worked hard!

I arrived at the new apartment at 3:55, and started to organize things - I wanted to get as many things as possible out of the way, as moving day was less than 24 hours away.

4:25 - Great! The apartment is all set. Moving everything in here tomorrow should be a breeze. I bet Comcast will show up any second!

5:00 - Hmmm. I sure am hungry. Who the hell skips lunch?

5:15 - That GD Greenpeace kid completely screwed my plan to stop for food on the way here. I hate him. And I hate the environment.

5:55 - Oh my gosh, I am so hungry I think that I might cry.

6:45 - First call to Comcast, asking for an estimated arrival time, as there were 15 minutes left in the window and I AM SO HUNGRY CRANKYFEST.

7:20 - WHY the HELL didn't we bring over the food last night? This fridge has nothing but a Brita. Hmm. I wonder if I could crack open the filter and eat those little things inside...

7:45 - Second call to Comcast. "We'll have him call you!" Uh huh, that's what you said the last time. Cockslaps!

8:15 - Knocking. It's about GD time.

8:17 - Comcast guy informs me that he doesn't have enough cable wire to run it to the back bedroom (my bedroom). How do you not have enough wire? Stock your truck, JACKASS.

8:30 - Still installing.

8:45 - Still installing. My phone rings, and it's the Comcast operator:

Operator: "Has the technician arrived?"

Heather: "Oh yes, he's here now, actually."

Operator: "Can I speak with him?"

Pause. What?

Heather: "Um, can't you just call him on his phone?"

Operator: "I've been trying to call him for three hours, and he isn't answering."

Ah, so that explains why I never got a call saying that he was RUNNING A LITTLE LATE. I handed him my phone, and after thirty seconds, he hands it back... covered in fat man sweat. GROSS.

To make a long story short (Too late.), we've got cable and teh internets. And I finally got to eat something. At 9:30.

10 comments:

Shane said...

Well you know that Pizza Hut delivers ....

Heather said...

I know. I called. I wanted a personal pan pizza with pineapple, DAMMIT, and they wouldn't take my Discover Card.

Shane said...

Um, who only has a discover card? I think more places dont take it than ones that do. ;)

You need yourself a nice, shiny reward-getting VISA.

Heather said...

I know, I know...

I have a Visa debit card, from my bank, but I was dangerously close to overdrawing, so I couldn't use it.

I also have a MC that I've been paying off for FOREVER and I don't even carry it in my wallet anymore.

I need a new job or I will be rid of these damn plastic bitches!

inowpronounceyou said...

I just went through this and was SHOCKED. They were suppoed to be at my place bu 12:00 and they called me to say "we're going to be early"...huh? Then they came in, wired the place, and were out in like 30 minutes. I thought I was being Punk'd...that nothing would work. It was amazing. I called to say that it was a great job that they had done and they said "we usually only get complaints".

Heather said...

A ha! I know exactly what you mean, inowpronounceyou -- two years ago, after moving into my old place, I had a Comcast appointment on a Saturday between 1-4. Or something.

The guy called at 9 a.m., said he was just finishing a place down the street, and would it be okay if he showed up now?

I rolled out the welcome mat, he did the job (including running cable all the way down the long rowhouse hallway), and he was on his way. I also made a happy call and they were surprised to get it.

I guess I was expecting that again. Or hoping for it.

Ah well, it's all hooked up now, so what's the point.

JLR said...

I am sorry to hear about your cable woes! But props to you for quoting from "Clue." Go you. That just made my day!

Heather said...

Thanks, jlr. If you ever need an upper, just read all of the quotes. I love that movie so... much... it flames... flames on the side of my face...

Em said...

I'm going home to sleep with my wife.

Heather said...

Plant? I thought men like you were usually called fruits.