Friday, August 29, 2008

Big, Fat, Cancelled Bummer

Remember when I waxed poetic about Veronica Mars?

(Also, I just looked up the meaning of "to wax poetic" just to make sure that I was using it correctly, and I learned things.)

Anyway, I still feel that way about Veronica. But.

I've just finished watching the third and final season of the show, and while it wasn't as good as the first two, it definitely had its ohmigod! moments. The first and second seasons absolutely blew me away and the second season finale caused me to fall out of my chair. I am not kidding. I really fell. It was fantastic (the finale, not the falling. Though I did score a sweet bruise, so there's that).

The third season grabbed my interest and held it. I had to force myself to turn off the tv and get to bed on more than one occasion, lest I show up at work looking like an extra from Buffy. But as the credits rolled on the last episode, I ran to my computer to check if it really was... the end.

It was.

It really is a bummer when a show is cancelled without giving the creators a chance to pen a worthy finale, and that is unfortunately what happened here. The final episode, "The Bitch is Back" (heh), was a season finale, maybe, but it was no swan song. It was not a series ending, jaw-dropping, storyline-ending curtain call. Veronica and her fans deserved better.

That said, it was still worth all of the time I invested watching this wonderfully crafted, beautifully written show.

Bye good show!
(But maybe rethink that vest, Veronica.)

5 comments:

JLR said...

season three just didn't have enough wallace. Season two, either, actually. Their friendship was one of my favorite parts of the first season.

Hey, did you hear? There are rumors, completely unconfirmed, that they might--might--*talk* about *maybe* making a movie.

I really miss that show. But I do NOT miss getting to the end of each episode each week and thinking, "the wait until next week's episode is actually going to kill me dead."

JLR said...

oh, and do you watch Life on NBC? It's nothing like Veronica Mars except that the main character has his quest-like mystery that spans the season, and then each episode has it's mystery of the week. I didn't catch it until midseason, but then I went back and watched the old episodes. I think you can catch up online if you need another tv show to watch.

Heather said...

jlr - Agreed. I missed Wallace, and my favorite - Weevil. Was he on steroids in season three? Because, ew.

There are also rumors about an Arrested Development movie, and I'm trying to keep my hopes down until I hear of a release date. So that's what I shall do with a VM movie. But that would be AWESOME.

I don't watch Life, but perhaps I shall start. I don't really know much about it, to be honest.

Anonymous said...

MAYBE rethink the vest? I think that should definitely.

I decided to edumacate myself and clicked the link for "wax poetic". I love the Groucho line: "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." Hehe.

Also, I have started watching Veronica Mars. Because I don't have enough movies in my Netfliz queue.

Heather said...

lem - I know, it's a bad vest. I don't understand when the "vest" thing started, but I just saw someone wearing one today, actually, and I wanted to throw things at her.

I hope you enjoy VM. I have K-10 hooked.