Monday, June 23, 2008

Fangirl

OMG VERONICA MARS LOVE LOVE LOVE AAAAAARGGGGGHH!!!!

Really, though.

Every so often, I'd catch an episode of "Veronica Mars", and was pleasantly entertained. Perhaps it aired at the same time as one of my coveted programs, perhaps not. Either way, I never really latched onto this show when it was still on the air.

Man, I wish I had.

The writing? The storylines? The character development? All pristine. I was drawn into the life of the titular character from the opening sequence of the pilot episode and have been enmeshed in her amazing backstory ever since.

My love for Netflix has never been stronger, especially since the first two discs of season one had been sitting next to my television for days, just waiting for me to be in the mood for intrigue and sassy female leads.

Veronica Mars is an outcast at Neptune High School. She used to be popular. On the pep squad, she had a best friend named Lilly, and had Lilly's brother, Duncan, as her boyfriend.

All of that changed, however, when Lilly was murdered.

Veronica's dad, Keith, was the town sheriff at the time of the murder. When he pinpointed Jake Kane, Duncan and Lilly's father, the number one suspect, the town quickly responded by removing him from the office of sheriff. Jake, beloved by the town for creating jobs and turning each of his employees into millionaires when his company went public, could do no wrong in their eyes.

Oh, and the fact that someone else confessed to the murder.

Five minutes into the first episode, I'm gone. Netflix will not be able to send the DVDs fast enough, is what I'm thinking.

Veronica not only had to deal with the death of her best friend and the breakup of her relationship, but her mother up and left, too. Seems she couldn't handle the stress and shame of being married to the ostracized sheriff.

Girl's been through a LOT.

In this, the establishing episode, Veronica makes a few new friends/allies, holds her own against the oh-niners (kids from the prestigious 90909 area code. You know, the ones with money who don't look like pasty white twins from Minnesota?), and discovers that her father is still pursuing the Lilly Kane murder case.

I've watched the first eight episodes so far. I'm seriously considering upping my Netflix subscription just so they'll send me the next disc today.

Update - I stopped at the Ann Arbor District Library on the way home to (finally) open an account. And to get the next disc of Veronica Mars. Pwnage!

5 comments:

sooz said...

BEST SHOW EVER.
so sad to see it go.
(long time reader, first time commenter)

Heather said...

sooz - I am in love with this show.

JLR said...

I still have not recovered from the fact that this show got canceled. Stupid CW. Although at least I am now relieved of the torture of waiting each week for a new episode. Some weeks, I didn't think I would make it.

Yea! Something else we have in common!

RR said...

I also am a fan of the show and was sorry to see it canceled. The best season was the first, but I still enjoyed the other two. And then they canceled it. Not that I'm bitter.

Heather said...

jlr and rr - I just finished the first season and HOLY CRAP AWESOME. What an amazing show!

I love that was able to watch it all the way through on netflix. I really don't know what I would have done with some of those cliffhangers.