Saturday, August 30, 2008

Reason to Love Ann Arbor #6

Football Saturdays

(picture courtesy of my Mike)

Unless you've experienced it, it's difficult to explain the feeling you get watching football as you are surrounded by over one hundred thousand people.

I remember my first game. I walked from my dorm on The Hill all the way to the Stadium. The streets were flooded with people, all oozing in the same direction.

There were t-shirts for sale, members of the band were leading the spectators toward the stadium, and maize and blue were the only colors you could see. And then I turned onto Greene Street and I saw the stadium looming ahead.

It's a big building, y'all. The first time? It takes your breath away.

I climbed the stairs to section 32, row 96. Row 96 of 98 rows. Nosebleed, sure, but I didn't care. I just couldn't believe that I was there.

4 comments:

Shane said...

I wonder how many MI fans jumped off the top of that 98th row after the Utes got done with them.

Heather said...

Oh my GOD, I know. I know.

RR said...

I just realized that you are actually going in numerical order in your "Reasons to Love Ann Arbor." You're not making up numbers as you go along, like must people do. That's cool. Do you have an end number in mind? Are you planning to go out of order at any point, maybe switch numbers 36 and 81?

Heather said...

rr - I thought about doing that because it's funny, but I'm way too OCD to make it happen. I would be annoyed that it wasn't in order and then I would be worried that the numbers weren't random enough and that they were forming some sort of pattern or something.

Seriously, I am a little crazy.