Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Drugs Are Bad, Mmmkay?

I had a migraine the other day.

Oh, didn't I tell you? I've been diagnosed with migraines, which -- well at least I know that I'm not crazy. The headaches I've had through the years? The ones that made me nauseous and tired? The ones that made light and sound the creations of Lucifer? They weren't just "bad" headaches. Nope, they were migraines.

So my doctor - a super cool guy - asked all sorts of questions and had me do things like walk in a straight line and stand with my eyes closed. No inner-ear issues there, so after a while, I got a prescription for some lovely pink pills called Relpax.

The problem that I've been having is figuring out when I'm having a migraine as opposed to a regular, boring headache. So far, this has proven difficult. I've had headaches for so long that every headache is a bitch. Why is this important, you ask? Well, these pills work best if taken as soon as possible. On the package it actually reads, "Do not second-guess yourself. Take one tablet as soon as you feel you are getting a migraine."

You'd think that this is good information. You'd think that I would be able to follow directions.

The first time? I indeed DID second-guess myself. I waited. "This headache isn't so bad. It's not a migraine. Aleve can handle it. Oh, what's that? Flashing lights on the television? Oh, hi nausea! Welcome! Oh my, if my head doesn't explode soon, I'm just going to explode it myself just to make. it. stop." When I finally took the pill, it didn't work. At all.

I felt that I had wasted a dosage. Stupid, I know, but that's my mindset, especially with paying for my own insurance of which CAN KISS MY ASS SIDEWAYS. Thanks for covering practically nothing.

Right, so the point of the story: I had a wicked headache pushing me to tears yesterday, and by the time I got my tired ass home, I knew that I had to do something. I took that lovely little pill immediately and downed about a quart of water. I had gotten so used to the dull ache, that I just kept on with whatever the hell I was doing (laundry and dinner, and baking. Oh right. The failed cupcakes. There's a story there. Ugh.)

I wasn't really thinking about it, but then? It was just gone. The migraine, the nausea, the horrible weighted-down feeling -- all gone. Instead, I felt a little loopy. Fine, but... loopy. And that's when the MAYOR OF ANN ARBOR chose to knock on MY door. Apparently there's an election tomorrow and he's up for re-election (update: he won). Maybe I should pay more attention to things. Maybe I should care more about the city in which I live. Maybe I shouldn't take off my bra as soon as I walk through the damn door in case I get visitors like this, but really? A bra on a hot, humid day is like torture.

Anyway...

I shook his hand and he told me about how he grew up in the neighborhood and attended the elementary school nearby and how he's the greenest, recyclingest mayor A2 has ever had, and all I could think about was how his little head was so little and how he should wear hats and I think that I saw him at Art Fair this year and how I think that I need to sit down.

This post just bored me to tears. Maybe I should just delete it. Nah. You people need to have something to read to help you fall asleep some days. This post can be your warm milk. YOU'RE WELCOME.

3 comments:

RR said...

When we were freshmen, jlr had some kind of ailment that we still have not identified. All we knew about it is that it caused her large amounts of pain through her entire body and that it was not lupus. When she broke down crying in the on-campus medical facility because the doctor didn't seem to believe she was ill (lots of students used the health clinic for notes to get out of class), the doctor gave her NARCOTICS. So when she phoned me later all medicated, we had a very interesting conversation. And then later, Dad called me to ask, "Um, does it seem to you that [jlr] is acting a little weird?"

Anyhow, knowing what jlr was like when she was heavily medicated to combat pain, I think it must have been awfully amusing to be on the mayor's side of that conversation at your place. I don't suppose anyone with the mayor taped it?

[Also, and this is more important than the stuff I wrote above, I'm so glad you now have something to make the pain go away.]

Em said...

I understand loopy after migraine meds. Imitrex does that to me. I understand wanting to tell the insurance company to kiss it too.... costs too much to get rid of the pain. Bastards.

Heather said...

rr - That is GLORIOUS. Reminds me of people going to the Health Service for a cold and walking out with birth control pills. I don't know how I appeared to the mayor. I really hope that it wasn't that bad. He and his buddy seemed to take off running after giving me their spiel, but maybe that's because it was election day eve.

And thanks - it's good to know that I have a reliable backup now in case the migraines attack!

em - That's good to hear - knowing I'm not the only one! But yeah, I am in constant hate with the insurance company.