Friday, June 01, 2007

Cool Aunt Heather?

This afternoon, I'm hopping a flight to Detroit for my niece's 2nd birthday party. It's unreal to me that I even have a niece, let alone a two-year-old niece!

I remember pacing around the Memorial Day barbecue back in 2005, my cell phone glued to my hand, waiting for any news from Michigan. Kari had been in labor for hours and hours and things were getting a little tense (while watching the video later that week, seeing her father punch the wall in frustration was just heart breaking). There weren't enough doctors, and when complications arose, no one knew what was going on. Alexis was finally born by Cesarean section late that night. Watching my brother hold his daughter for the first time left me with tears running down my face. (Obviously.)

I never thought that I would be one of those far-away relatives. Growing up, I had friends with relatives who lived out of state, but I never thought that I would be one of those people. Then again, I didn't think that my little brother would have a child before I did (actually, two. The next one is due in December. Gah).

But I guess that's life!

I'm excited to see her, but I am a little nervous that she won't remember me. I haven't been back to Michigan since Christmas, and even then it was only for a few days. I want to be Cool Aunt Heather, but that can't happen if I'm only in town once in a blue moon. Something to ponder, I suppose...

It'll be good to be back, though. I'll get to hang out with Tonks and have some margaritas at Mexican Gardens. I might even take a little trip to Ann Arbor. I'm not all that anxious to get my ass back on a plane after that 8.5 hour flight on Tuesday, but since it's less than an hour, I'm thinking that it's going to be nothing more than a hiccup!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes, the cool aunt predicament. Right there with you HP. Except my flight is 5 hours.

Heather said...

And what can we do? We're both poor churchmice!

Stupid procreating siblings.