Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Channel 1

Who else had Channel One in school?

I remember being forced to watch it in middle school. We hated it at the time, but it really did present unbiased news - something that I doubt most would have gotten at home. On the flip side, it was underwritten by huge corporations like Pepsi, Doritos, and the like, so we were subjected to an immense amount of advertising by companies that probably creamed their pants with the chance to advertise in schools.

But Channel One didn't just bring us painful, forced consumerism! No! It contributed to the early careers of super fantastic people, like:

Rawley Valverde - Okay honestly? I have no idea what he's doing now. I just love saying his name.

Serena Altschul - She moved around from MTV to CNN to CBS. Plus, she's hot.

Lisa Ling - From The View to the National Geographic channel to being on a first name basis with Oprah, Lisa Ling has MADE IT. Or whatever.

Kathy Kronenberger - Again, I just like her name. I think that she had a sweet perm, too.

Maria Menounos - I don't remember her on the show. But she's done well... especially with the pre-teen set.

Tracy Smith - My AP Calculus teacher was OBSESSED with her. If she wasn't an anchor on Channel One that day, he would actually turn off the tv and refuse to let us watch it. This is also the same teacher who prepared us for the AP test SO WELL that none of us bothered to take it. We knew that it would be a tremendous waste of money because we learned NOTHING. And then I almost failed regular Calculus in college. THANKS. He had alopecia... I don't know why that matters...

And the most awesome of all?

Anderson "The Silver Fox" Cooper - What can I say? He's beautiful and he reports damn fine news: he was the only non-pussy Channel One anchor who reported from the Middle East during Desert Storm. Plus, he gorgeous.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Holy crap they still have Channel One?! Wow. Remember all the commercials they ran for Crystal Pepsi?

Serena was hot. And she had a cool voice. And yeah Anderson was fierce.

Heather said...

Jenni - I know! I had no idea that it was still on until I googled it.