Thursday, June 28, 2007

Conversion

Okay, so I know that it's a little counter-productive, and probably more than a little wasteful, but I am in the process of replacing my well-worn VHS tapes with DVDs. In the long run, I know that it will be worth it, though I still refuse to believe that VHS tapes will one day become obsolete. C'mon! They're not beta, for crying out loud!

This process has been in effect for some time now. It's not like I can just drag ass to Best Buy and replace them all in a heartbeat - no, I have to take my time. Wait it out. Pay rent first and then see what's left over to squander away.

Behold my ridiculousness!

I have already replaced my beloved Audrey Hepburn tapes, and have moved on to 80s and 90s pleasures. The following list (a list I actually carry with me in case I find myself with disposable income) represents the VHS tapes languishing on the bottom shelf of the media tower:

Clerks
I know. Should have been replaced YEARS ago. I am aware. I quote this and Mallrats almost daily, and watching it brings me back to high school, watching it with my friend Ryan.

Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Forget about the catchy Cyndi Lauper song - Sarah Jessica Parker? Helen Hunt? Shannen Doherty? The bitch who plays Natalie Sands? Fantastic!

Kissing a Fool
David Schwimmer plays against type, which is refreshing, and Jason Lee can do no wrong in my book. It's formulaic, predictable, and sometimes a little cheesy, but I still like it.

Labyrinth
David Bowie in tights. That is all.

Mallrats
See Clerks, above.

PCU
My first encounter with Jeremy Piven. I was a smitten kitten. "What's this? You're wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy."

Robin Hood: Men in Tights
"The night is young, and you're so beautiful..." Ah, Mel Brooks.

Senior Trip
Tacky, tasteless, toilet humor. I love it.

Top Gun
Tom Cruise may be batshit crazy, but this movie is simply amazing. You know that I'm right.

Troop Beverly Hills
Oh my gosh, my cousins and I quoted this movie throughout the 90s. While exploring the Michigan metroparks, we would scour the landscape for "very, very deep ravines" to cross. This is easily one of my guilty pleasures/comfort films.

Vacation
There's long been an ongoing debate over this and Christmas Vacation. For me, Vacation is the clear winner, hands down. The script is funnier, the actors are better (especially the kids. It must have sucked having to find new actors for each installment, but Anthony Michael Hall? He was the best Rusty), and there's just more to work with here. Wallyworld? Amazing.

4 comments:

JLR said...

Let's see. Top Gun? Watched that almost daily my freshman year of college. Nary a week went by when one of us in the suite didn't say "negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full." Labrynth. SO happy someone else out there loves this movie. RR and I were feeling lonely. Clerks: awesome, but that's a given. PCU: also great, and I am with you, loved Jeremy Piven in it. Troop Beverly Hills: AWESOME. LOVE this movie. I also see from the picture that you have "Friends" and CLUE!! I knew you liked Clue, but I didn't know you owned a copy as well. fabulous. Also, Office Space, wonderful of course, and Overboard? Love that movie! Definitely one of my guilty pleasures. Much ado about nothing, love that, and the Princess Bride.

Can't see too much else because of the glare, but that's enough to show that if I ever got stranded in your place, I would have plenty to entertain myself with.

Heather said...

jlr - yes! And see, this is an old picture. I have since added to my collection.

I have all Friends seasons except for 8, 9, and 10. But I'm working on it. (The earlier seasons were better anyway.)

And let me list the first row (because I am insane and obviously have no work to do. Except that I do):

Adventures in Babysitting
The American President
Anchorman
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Best of SNL: Chris Farley
Best of SNL: Will Ferrell (volumes 1 and 2)
The Breakfast Club
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Bridget Jones's Diary
Bring It On
Clue
Clueless
Dazed and Confused
Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
Dumb and Dumber
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Finding Neverland
Footloose
Friends, Friends, Friends

I just purchased the fifth season of Scrubs, too.

I have a problem, methinks.

Heather said...

jlr - and you are more than welcome to get stranded in my place, though pray that the air conditioners work and that the pest control people kill all of the cockroaches that month. Because, ew.

JLR said...

heather--thanks for the invite. If I'm ever up your way, I will have to check out your movie collection in person! And the cockroaches don't scare me!

That's a lie, they totally do. But I've lived in enough apartments that I don't hold it against you if they find their way in. Apartment life--you can't control your neighbors' hygiene habits or how often your landlord calls in the bug people. It's rough.

The air conditioning, though . . . maybe it'll be a winter trip.