Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Maybe We Could Sell Daryl... You Think?

After reading this post, and learning all about RENT-heads (interesting. And also, yikes!), I had the strangest revelations concerning a few of my favorite movies:

Keith Coogan, who plays Brad in Adventures in Babysitting, is the brother, Kenny, in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.

Anthony Rapp, Daryl in Adventures in Babysitting, is Tony in Dazed and Confused. (He's also, incidentally, one of the stars of RENT, which is how the little 80s field trip started in my head. I've never seen the musical or the recent film (gasp!), but I kind of sort of want to see them now...)

Anyway, how is it that I never made these connections before? I own all three of those films, and I watch them often. Dazed and Confused is one of those special films that I will watch anytime I find it on TV, regardless of the fact that its DVD sits very close to said TV and contains elements that will inevitably be cut from the version on TBS or TNT. Or whatever.

There are a good number of films that I will watch if I discover them on TV, whether I own them or not, or whether I know that I will bawl like a lost child or not.

There are the usual suspects, of course, for the children of the 80s: Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Sixteen Candles, and The Breakfast Club. "Automobile?" Exactly.

For me especially, these old "classics" grab my attention after just a few frames: Wuthering Heights, Breakfast at Tiffany's, West Side Story, and Dr. Zhivago. I will cry at some point in all of these films (some more than others, and by "more," I mean gushing like a fountain), but my momentary sorrow is justified because they are just so good. And totally worth the tears.

Comedies like Dumb and Dumber, Super Troopers, and The Sweetest Thing never fail to have me rolling on the floor laughing. Do you agree with meow?

And while I watch Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at least once a week (I know), I will nevertheless tune in to ABC Family when it's shown four times in a weekend.

Annnnnnnd, I seem to have gotten off on a tangent.

Well, too late to save it now. Kbye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really must see it on Broadway before seeing the movie. The movie just doesn't do it justice. Excellent songs, sarcasm, and a good lacking of saccharine.