Friday, August 24, 2007

25%

Whoa.

The Washington Post ran an extremely depressing story the other day: One in Four Read No Books Last Year. (No comment on the poorly-worded title.)

A whole year? No books? Nothing?

That's sad - my books are like my babies. I get excited in bookstores like some women get excited in shoe stores. My face lights up, I rush from one shelf to the next, and I pick up any book that catches my eye. I browse Amazon for hours, clicking from one book to the next, adding to my wish list.

I can't imagine even a week-long diet from books, let alone an entire year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not that I'm a librarian, but as someone who could not live without books that makes me wonder how in the world people do not read books! Boggles my mind.

Heather said...

megan - I know! I understand that some kids were bookworms and practically plowed through books (like me) and some, well, weren't, but wouldn't you think that adults would like to expand their minds with something other than Maxim, Cosmo, Sportscenter, and The Hills?

Gah.