Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fired and Glazed

Sometimes, I amaze myself with my assholity.

Old Roommate Jenny had planned an evening event to celebrate my birthday and had been keeping it a secret. I had no idea what she had planned, but by yesterday afternoon I was getting curious:

H: What time this evening then? We're not painting mugs or something gay like that are we?

ORJ:
Yes we are biotch. How did you know?

H:
I'm going to paint giant breasts on mine.

ORJ: Hot.

H:
We're not really painting mugs are we? Because then I'd feel bad for calling it gay...

ORJ: Not mugs but we are going to that place. Is that dorky?

H:
What place? I totally made that up!

ORJ: Shut up. That's weird. All Fired Up. No kidding, that's the name.

H:
No way! I've never heard of it! I'm still painting boobs...

ORJ: I can't believe you made that up.


It took me a while to realize that she was serious and for her to realize that I had completely made up the whole thing. Honestly, I really hadn't heard of that place -- I had had a certain "Friends" episode in my head all day:

Lauren: Hey! So since we're getting off early, do you want to go and paint mugs?

Joey: What?

Lauren: You know! At that place I told you about last night?

Joey: Oh yeah, with the mug painting. Yeah. I was so listening to that.


So basically, I am an asshole. I had no clue that she was planning a creative evening, and yet? As soon as I hit "send" on that first text message, I knew that she had planned exactly that.

I didn't need a mug, however, so I painted a bowl. No breasts, I'm afraid -- there were children present ("Please, there are ladies present!"):

Shades of pink. I'm such a rebel.

Jenny, in a display of hidden artistic ability, painted nuts on a mug:

Nuts are just as good as breasts.

One super awesome thing about this place? You can bring in your own beverages. Including wine. Delicious wine. Or delicious sugar:

I was so into my craft, I forgot to drink my Coke.
Somehow, I don't think that would have been the case if it had been Chardonnay.


This last photo is just to illustrate Jenny's freehand technique:

She painted a cute little squirrel!

I know that she doesn't believe me (see: insensitive text messages), but I had always wanted to do this and I had a blast!

No comments: