Tuesday, August 09, 2005

"You people are crazy..."

Oh, poor K-10 - she really needs a new job. This story is flippin' hilarious, though:

It was incredible. Julia, Mike and I were all here this morning, and Amarjit bursts through the door about 9:15. He's this really quirky guy. His hair sheds and it's gross. The first thing I notice is that he is wearing the EXACT same clothes as yesterday - shirt, jacket, khakis, shoes. EVERYTHING.

Anyhoo, Mike and Julia are talking about some analysis that they need him to do, but they are just talking amongst themselves. He gets out his computer and starts huffing and puffing (he makes weird noises ALL DAY). So, then I start in on their conversation about how Denise in the US wants me to do start the system training as well, and we've got the big project work to do. We need to figure out a schedule. Everything is very casual - these people are NOT uptight at all. He freaks out at this point (tantrum #1 - very mild) and says, 'I have so much to do and I know how to do it and this is just ridiculous.'

We're like - CHILL. So, I send an email to Helen saying that we need to talk about schedules. Amarjit was planning to work from home a few days a week because he has a two hour journey (not our fault) and is 'frustrated' by the time he gets to work. Deal. Uh, no. You canNOT work from home yet, especially when you have NO idea what you are doing and have not been trained. So, Helen decides to come in to discuss things in the afternoon tomorrow, and now he is pissed because he has to come in and wanted to be at home.

In my email to her I also told her how he tells me what he does and does not want to be trained on and when he wants to do it. I also told her about how he wants to take vacation during a heavy project schedule in 3 weeks time (don't get me started on it). Not to mention the fact that I am training someone making 3x more money than me.

Our office is pretty quiet. It's very small - two main areas with 3 desks at each. I could spit from one wall to the other. We talk once in awhile, but not all the time.

Around 11:45, it hits. Now, we're all working to get him documentation, I'm trying to do his training and 4 other projects at the same time. No one is talking, we're all busy. 11:50. Mike and Julia ask me to PDF something because I'm the only one who has writer. So, Rowan's doing his own thing, and Julia, Mike and I are corresponding about the PDF. Nothing urgent, just trying it out. 11:52 - Amarjit busts into the convo (while I'm talking) and says, 'Did you get my analysis?'

We think it's directed at Mike/Julia, but we're never sure because he never addresses the speaker. Mike says, 'Thanks we got it a few minutes ago, and Julia is going to look at it in due course. We have a meeting this afternoon, and we have a proposal to pdf now for a meeting tomorrow.' We keep working. He interrupts AGAIN - very loudly this time - 'IF YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO ME ABOUT IT WE NEED TO SCHEDULE SOMETHING.' Mike, again, politely says, 'Thanks, Amarjit. We will get to it and discuss it soon.'

Then all hell broke loose.

"There is an atmosphere in here. I'm the new boy and no one is taking my side. I'm trying to remember what she told me (motioning at me), and what Julia says and what I learned in the US. You all have an attitude and there is an atmosphere. I am going to explode."

We're literally shocked. Mike says, "I think you're misinterpreting things. We're just trying to work on the proposal right now. We will get to your work very soon."

"I don't have a relationship with any of you. No one makes an effort. I'm a part of this office and you have to realize that. UNDERSTAND THAT. I have a TWO hour journey in the morning and I am frustrated when I get here. It will be easiest for everyone if I just work from home. I can't deal with this."

Julia: You have only just started. We haven't had time to build a relationship with you. You were in Atlanta all last week. If you work from home, how will you have a relationship anyway?

A: "Haven't you people heard of phone or email? HELLO?"

Julia: "Well, if you can't communicate face-to-face, how are you going to do it via the phone or email?"

It went on and ON. He was up in arms about everything and 'I don't know my schedule. I need priorities. I can't do everything at once. You people are crazy.'

Yup, it was that bad. Imagine worse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of those times when you just wish you were a fly on the wall so you could have watched the whole thing!

Heather said...

I know! I mean, I laughed like an idiot at some of the comments, but really, it's absolutely ridiculous that she has to work in that kind of environment. He sounds like a super psycho. She'd just quit if she coould find a job that would apply for a visa for her, but it's not that easy... Anyway, K-10, we're all on your side. Good luck!