Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Zombieland

Hmmm. I wasn't looking for much in Zombieland. All I wanted was to be entertained, and I was.

Of course, after about six minutes, Mike got bored/annoyed and plugged in his iPod. But I enjoyed it!

Zombies are taking over the world, and it's every human for himself. Or herself, as it turns out. We learn the rules for survival quickly via the main character's (Columbus, played by Jesse Eisenburg) voiceover: cardio, to outrun/outplay the zombies; avoiding bathrooms, as zombies take advantage of you at your most vulnerable state; check the back seat, as zombies can sneak up on you; and more. The whole thing is very tongue-in-cheek, which is the attitude you must adopt when life takes on a whole new meaning in a zombie world.

Columbus soon encounters Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson), a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants kind of guy, who just wants to enjoy his life in a world undone. They are eventually outsmarted by Wichita and Little Rock, sisters who are in the same boat as them - just a little meaner.

Eisenburg charmed me in Adventureland, and I probably wouldn't have bothered with this film if it hadn't been for him. Even the promise of Harrelson acting like, well, Woody Harrelson, wasn't completely appealing. I've liked him since Cheers, and I liked him more when he was on Will & Grace, but his hippie pothead schtick is starting to get old. Luckily, his "character" was more of a badass than I expected.

Zombieland is not twist-filled, and it's pretty predictable, but it has heart and clever, witty dialogue. The acting is good and rarely over-the-top, and the soundtrack is fun.

Of course, there is an awesome cameo appearance that remains the best reason to watch this film, and that cameo is Bill Murray. And that's all I am going to say about that, because his scenes are the best parts of this film.

Zombieland is fun and entertaining, and it's worth a go on Netflix.

No comments: