Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Sweetness, It Hurts!

Today marks the beginning of the Lenten season, and you know what that means: no more pop for Heather.

Sniff.

But this time, the elimination of all things sweet and carbonated is not just for the next forty days and forty nights. No, it's now time that I grow the hell up and realize that Coke is RUINING MY LIFE.

It's bad for you! Really bad. Water is good and makes my skin pretty. And juice is nice.

Additionally, Mike and I have embarked upon "Get Fit February (copyright Mike, 2008)," and pop just doesn't fit into the plan.

However...

Being as today was Fat Tuesday, and being that I am now back in Michigan, I welcomed the sight of the almighty PACZKI:

Yes, I am a real word.

Hello, we are here to KILL YOU.

These sugary bombs were damn near impossible to find in the DC metro area (along with kielbasa), though I admit that I didn't try very hard to find many. I'm not a huge fan of the filled donut (I like glazed), and I really didn't see the point in eating ten million calories in a few minutes.

Southeastern Michigan boasts a large population of Polish Americans, and the paczki rules all on Fat Tuesday. Most offices and businesses will have boxes of paczkis waiting to be devoured.

I might have had a bite of a blueberry paczki. And I might have regretted it immediately. It made my teeth hurt from the sweetness. I mean, allegedly.

I can honestly say that that bite was the first taste of paczki for me (damn my weakness!), and it will be my last. I'm Polish, but it just wasn't worth it. Bring on the sauerkraut instead!

4 comments:

JLR said...

I like "Get Fit February." It's catchy. That's similar to the plan RR and I had last year ("In Shape by Spring Break!"). I hope you have better luck with your plan than we did with ours.

Deals On Wheels said...

I'm giving up the following:

1. Alcohol (damn deb season)
2. Overtly sugary foods (i.e. desert, chocolate, candy, etc., but not meal replacement bars/shakes or 100 snacks)
3. Anything fried.

I'm trying to improve myself in the following ways:

1. Eat more fruit and veggies (not that I don't already eat them. I just have to go to the store more regularly now to make sure I don't run out).
2. Take a yoga class.

Sigh. Is it Easter yet?

Anonymous said...

Good for you H! In accordance with your newest resolution, try giving up anything that has HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) in it. I assume you know about it and may have wiki'ed it by now, but it is essentially a man-made sugar for sweetening a crap-load of items - and some items may shock you. Because HFCS is not natural your body has no idea what to do with it, so it stores it ... as FAT, pretty much right away. Always check food labels for this bastard sugar. Ketchup, soups, pasta sauce, relish, cereals, and SODA to name a few. Good luck with your quest. A while ago, I bought Amanda The Abs Diet for Women - you might want to check it out.

Heather said...

jlr - Yeah, I'm doing okay so far. Of course, it's only been a week. I measure success by how many cookies I don't eat, so in that case, I'm doing splendidly!

deals - I think that you've made some realistic goals for yourself! You're going to be fine :) But I know what you mean about fresh fruit and veggies - I go through berries in three days. And they're expensive up here in these parts.

shane - Thanks! Yeah, I know that high fructose crap is evil. That's why I love Trader Joe's. Their stuff is all natural and there are no preservatives. Man, I really should get paid residuals for all of the shilling I do for that company... And yeah, I saw that book at Amanda's. I just may check it out.