Saturday, February 02, 2008

Bravo, um... Bravo

Okay, so I was up waaaay too late the other night, and I stumbled upon Friday the 13th, Part II on Bravo - which is weird because I thought that Bravo only aired Project Runway and Top Chef, but whatever.

So I watched it for the first time in years, and it was glorious.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I like 80s slasher films. They are generic and predictable, but they have some sweet scares and, if you're not watching them on basic cable (as I was, sigh), some gratuitous nudity. Gratuitous nudity is always nice.

I don't remember when I first saw Friday the 13th (though it was probably with Amanda), but I know that I always thought it was awesome. I loved the idea that the killer was preying on camp counselors. I went camping! It could happen! The original film was pretty sweet, what with its twists and turns, scream-out-loud ending, and fantastic gore. And who could forget the music?

The thing is, in my ultimate stupidity and insomniac-ity, I started watching this wonderful sequel at 2 a.m. After about an hour, noises became my mortal enemies. My landlord left two screens hanging on the back deck, and when there is a breeze of any kind, they bang against the posts. I got used to this after the first few days here, but by the end of the movie, I was convinced that Jason was out on the back deck about to bust through the door.

But the film. Let's discuss.

First of all, I love love LOVE that so many of the 80s slasher film stereotypes were present. Running up the stairs instead of out the front door, fornicators never survive, etc., etc. But what I also loved is that there was a character in a wheelchair who was awesome. I was rooting for him, especially when he and the "nerdy" girl made plans to spend the night together, but alas. He fell backwards down some stairs, in his wheelchair, with an axe in his skull, courtesy of Jason.

So even the handicapable are targets... he died before he got some, but I guess he should have stayed chaste in his mind as well. But he planned a night with that hussy, and it was all downhill for him. Heh. Downhill. Oh, I am awful.

Second, after the first fifteen minutes, I had picked out the heroine.

Third, gratuitous nudity.

Fourth, the bed death scene. Brilliant.

Fifth, tricking Jason by WEARING A SWEATER.

Finally, playing the game on Nintendo? Priceless.

Why I need to find an old NES.

1 comment:

Zetta Evans said...


Great article. This tips are very helpful.
clipping path
clipping path service