Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Arts & Culture TRUMPED

My colleagues and I went to the Toledo Museum of Art yesterday afternoon. We left Ann Arbor in the early afternoon, giving us a few hours at the Museum. I head right for the European wing and spent the entire two hours there. If you want to see some of the non-flash photography that I took, check these out! (Warning: They're not really all that exciting.)

It was actually because my boss found out that I had never been to Tony Packo's.

So really, it all comes down to the fact that we planned a departmental trip to Toledo (of all places) to visit a hot dog restaurant.

In case you are not aware, Tony Packo's is a famous Hungarian hot dog joint made even more famous by Jamie Farr, who played Corporal Max Klinger on the television show M*A*S*H. If you only vaguely remember the show, he was the character who cross-dressed in an attempt to get discharged from the army. My favorite episodes were when he wore a wedding dress. Because, obviously.

Right, so there is a huge picture of Farr, greeting you as you walk in the door. Besides the immediate feeling you get of walking into your own local bar, you're struck by the appearance of hermetically sealed hot dog buns framed all over the walls. Signed by celebrities and pseudo-celebrities, it was kind of fun to discover that Zsa Zsa Gabor actually visited the place. Well, and the Monkees.

The real travesty here is that I failed to take a picture of my meal. A hot dog with the works, a huge bowl of chicken chili, and way more french fries than a sumo wrestler would eat, but I think that they like rice better. It was the combo #1, and it was my first visit.

(I would order the same thing again, even though I had to take most of the chili home.)

It was a fun trip, and the food was much better than I expected. The chili was amazing, and I was surrounded by hot dog buns. You can't beat the ambiance!

No comments: