Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Borders? Really?

Apparently, even though I've left DC behind, I currently live in a city that is also very good for attracting stars and musical artist types.

And they all love the Ann Arbor Borders.

Thursday, October 2: James Taylor - James Freaking Taylor - is going to be at the Borders on campus. I think that he's brilliant, but I don't know that I will attempt to attend this event. Aging hippies love him, and as the entire west side of the city is populated with exactly this sort of people, I can only imagine how that room will smell.

(Just kidding. I'm sure that aging hippies smell lovely. And not at all like pot. I mean, my landlord very rarely smells of it, after all. Very rarely.)

Plus, it reminds me of a story. A story! Once upon a time, a long time ago -- when I was in college, as a matter of fact... anyway! The story:

James Taylor travels to Michigan almost every year to perform at DTE, and my friend Diana's family went every summer. They packed a picnic, they made a day of it. And every year, before singing a specific song, he told a little anecdote that roughly went something like this: "People ask me the meaning behind my songs all of the time. But I don't remember when I wrote this one, or why, because I was so high."

That's... cool.

Thursday, October 9: Joshua Radin. I've been loving his music since I watched Catch and Release. It's mellow and slow, and he's been billed as the next Bob Dylan. I guess that can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you feel about Bob Dylan (see: Folk Singer's Lament). He just released a new cd and I will be acquiring it post haste.

Finally, after watching the drivel that was Knocked Up, I discovered Loudon Wainwright III. Turns out, he was at The Ark in Ann Arbor on Friday, September 26. I mean, this was a few days before I actually watched the movie and "discovered" him, so I wouldn't have gone anyway, but really. That is cool.

All I need now is a Domestic Problems show at the Blind Pig.

HOLY SHIT. I just looked up the link to the Blind Pig and who is playing there on October 12? JOSHUA FUCKING RADIN.

No comments: