Monday, December 03, 2007

Welcome to the O.Z., Bitch

If anyone gets that amazing reference, I will be happy -- I won't be the only person to remember that ridiculous show.

For the past two nights, I've been watching "Tin Man," a dark retelling of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Maybe I'm just a huge nerd, but I think that it is absolutely fantastic. I can't remember when I've been so disappointed for a commercial break, even when I've been drinking so much pomegranate white tea I'm practically bursting at the seams.

I don't at all mind the little shout-outs to the MGM masterpiece - the main character's name is DG (Dorothy Gale?), she's a waitress in a diner where her uniform consists of a blue and white gingham dress... actually, I don't want to ruin anything else. These little inclusions by the screenwriters are brilliant, and everyone should have a chance to pick up on them all.

DG, Zooey Deschanel, lives in the Midwest with her parents, but she doesn't feel as if she belongs. Lucky for her, a massive storm (tornado) arrives and whisks her away... to the Outer Zone (OZ!).

Alan Cumming is absolutely superb, both comedically and dramatically, as Glitch (The Scarecrow), a former government advisor in the O.Z. who has since had half of his brain removed by Azkadellia (The Wicked Witch of the West? I'm not sure...), the evil sorceress. She's played by Kathleen Robertson, who I mainly recognize as Clare from "Beverly Hills, 90210," so I find it funny that her bio on Sci Fi's page doesn't include that little tidbit. Heh. She's completely over the top with her performance, but it's quite perfect.

Neal McDonough plays Cain (The Tin Man), was once a high-ranking secret policeman in the O.Z., but was imprisoned for years when he was discovered to be part of the resistance mounting against Azkadellia.

Raoul Trujillo plays a semi-muted role as Raw (The Cowardly Lion), a half-human, half-wolverine creature known as a "viewer,: or psychic. He's kind and empathetic, though shattered by the torture he felt at the hands of Azkadellia.

Man, this Azkadellia chick is a bitch, huh?

And I can't forget to include The Mystic Man (The Wizard): Richard Dreyfuss. Enough said, I think.

There is a ton of mystery and intrigue in "Tin Man," but I wasn't surprised to find myself glued to the screen. Besides the premise, the acting chops of the cast were more than enough to pull me in. I've loved Deschanel since her role as Jovie in Elf, and I think that she's perfectly captivating as DG.

You can watch all of Part One on SciFi.com, and I highly recommend taking the time. Don't try to make too many connections to the 1939 film, because while there are some, you'll miss out on a remarkable retelling of a century-old tale.

The conclusion is tomorrow night. Woo!

8 comments:

Nick said...

You've reviewed so many great books on your website, and since you like Tin Man, I suggest checking out "The Pretender" on DVD. It's created by the screenwriters of Tin Man, and one of my favorite shows.

Heather said...

Thanks, nick! I've heard good things about "The Pretender." I'll definitely check it out.

Yet another reason why Netflix is awesome.

Anonymous said...

I loooove Zooey Deschanel and was so excited for Tin Man. I watched for 1.5 hours on Sunday then fell asleep. I'm praying they release it on DVD because what I saw was awesome!

Heather said...

Megan - it is totally on sci fi's website. Watch it there!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you wrote about this. I've been hearing ads on the radio and it sounded really good. I will definitely check it out on SciFi.som this weekend.

Heather said...

lem - Really, really check it out. Plus, it's already being replayed on tv. It's just excellent!

Anonymous said...

I finally scored Tin Man on DVD and it's FANTASTIC. Just awesome.

Heather said...

mg - Your comment made me remember to remind my aunt to watch it. It's totally her thing.