Thursday, December 06, 2007

Warm Beaches and Smooth Roads. And SNOW.

It snowed yesterday. Again. And it was absolutely beautiful.

Until I stepped outside. The walks were covered in a light powder, but there was no way of knowing where evil ice lurked underneath. Ice! Evil! Heather slip and fall on ass!

(I haven't fallen yet. YET.)

I carefully made my way to the bus stop and, as luck would have it, the bus was running late. I was sure that I had missed it already, and was prepared to walk the rest of the way to the museum, when it turned the corner and made my day.

The driver apparently hadn't read his "there is much snow on the ground" memo this morning and was just careening around corners to make up for the lost time. It was like being on a ride at Cedar Point! Whee! Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Roller Coast!

Right, so I arrived at work in one piece. Here is a view from my office:

Hi, I'm the Chem Building. I have a 400-seat lecture hall.
Fear my glory.


See, not too much snow. Snow like this would have crippled DC for hours, but as we aren't big, fat wusses here in Michigan, we prevailed. We kicked snow in the neck and said, "Suck it, snow!"

Oh, who am I kidding? I was FREEZING on the bus stop and it's windy and I've gone soft from living in DC for five years. The weather channel says that it's 22 degrees but "feels like" 11. Sweet Lord! It was just plain bitter out there!

My friend Jason emailed me this morning:

How did the move go? Are you enjoying our warm beaches, smooth roads, and booming economy? :)

Exactly, Jason. EXACTLY.

And last night, the low was five. FIVE DEGREES.

Yep. Welcome back to the Midwest. Bitch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It snowed for 12 hours on Wednesday and we ended up with about 2 inches. Amazingly the gov. did not shut down although we were granted liberal leave. I'd also like to say that I drive way better in the snow than people who grew up here. What's up with that?

Heather said...

lem - Actually, that's pretty impressive. The liberal leave crap just cracks me up, though. TWO INCHES. People here are freaking out about precipitation - more than I remember, actually. It's obnoxious.