Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Letter Box

The building in which my museum is housed is quite old. It was completed in 1928, though collection items were accessioned starting in the 1870s.

So it comes as no surprise to stumble upon gems like this:

It's a working mailbox and it's located on the main floor. It actually has a mail chute from the fourth floor on down, for those extra lazy employees. I don't know that the chute still works, but I wouldn't risk it!

I love that the mail carrier has to have a special key to open the letter box. It's just... charming. And I think that it's pretty awesome that the postal service hasn't called for its removal.

5 comments:

JLR said...

That.is.so.awesome.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the mail man or woman finds it "charming" as well.

Heather said...

jlr - isn't it so pretty?

lem - I'm pretty sure that you are being "sarcastic," and yes. I'm sure that they love having to carry an extra GD key around. "Stupid museum grumble grumble with the stupid letter box."

Right?

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm never sarcastic.

Heather said...

lem - Never.