Friday, December 07, 2007

My Digs. Let Me Show You Them.

Digs is right, isn't it? I don't know. I feel like an old woman lately. When I go to work and see all of the students on campus, I just want to scream, "What the hell is wrong with you kids? It is FIFTEEN DEGREES out here! WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE WEARING A HAT?"

Right. Anyway...

I only had a few days to find an apartment in Michigan, and I wasn't going to be able to do it in person. Frustrating, but I turned to the magic of Craigslist.

Craigslist has been instrumental in helping me find roommates in the past few years. From Laura to CreePaul to Jenny to Jen, it had yet to fail me.

And it won out again. I found a very large studio loft apartment west of campus, and my mom went to check it out for me.

The west side of Ann Arbor is one of the oldest parts of the city, where houses are routinely over one hundred years old. And that was exactly what I was looking for: an apartment in a house. I haven't lived in a high-rise type apartment building, and so I can't be too candid, but I was pretty sure that it wasn't for me. I need something with character, not a cookie cutter version of the apartment next door. And if I wanted to live somewhere with hallways, I'd move into a hotel.

University students typically live north, east, and south of campus, while the west side remains untouched by the "beer bashes" and the "beer pong on the front yard" parties. (Seriously, could I sound more middle-aged?) It has older residents, young families, and young professionals. Like me! It is perfect.

I was thrilled when my mom called to tell me that she'd written a check on my behalf. I knew that it was going to be awesome.

After ten hours in the Uhaul, walking into this place was magical. And once I had everything in place (something that took almost two weeks), I felt as if I had always been here.

The pictures don't do it justice, because it's difficult to tell how big it actually is. There's also a great deck out back, but it was too fucking cold to take pictures out there last night. Feast your eyes anyway. FEAST!











The remainder of my picture-snapping extravaganza can be viewed here. The keen eye will be able to pick up on several boxes STILL in the apartment, and I have yet to put the dust ruffle on my bed, but I DON'T CARE. I'm exhausted and you guys can suck it.

Haha, I mean, I love you! Please come visit!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

HSP, you HSPed the shit out of your new digs. Also, can I visit? Invite me and Emily! I'll bring booze!

RR said...

What is that ladder for?

I hope you aren't planning to use it often. Not to join you in sounding like an old woman (oh, who am I kidding? I always sound like an old woman), but it could be dangerous.

I'm just saying.

Heather said...

megan - You and Em are totally welcome! And you don't even have to bring booze (though all I have is wine from Trader Joe's, so if that isn't your cup of... well, wine, then bring the hard stuff. Or the Bell's. Whatever).

rr - The Ladder leads to the sleeping loft. It's actually pretty big up there, but I decided to keep my bed where I could see it, because I just couldn't stomach navigating that ladder in the a.m. or after six too many wines. It's cool though - there's a full-size mattress up there, so I'll make up a lovely bed for visitors.

Waayers said...

Heather, it's so cute! I totally need to come visit you.

Deals On Wheels said...

Are you worried your pillows will fall down on to the Welcome Matt?

Heather said...

waayers - Thanks, I love it!

deals - They haven't fallen yet... but now you've got me worried. Thanks so much.

Deals On Wheels said...

Anytime. That's why I'm here. :P

Anonymous said...

Your "studio" is f-ing huge! And thanks for all the cookie cutter comments. I really love my place now.

Heather said...

lem - Like I said, I've never lived in one... :) I love your place, too - the paint choices especially.

I shy away from calling it a studio, but I guess that it technically is, what with my bed chilling right there near the couch. Still, it's awesome.