Friday, December 14, 2007

"Oh, And Also Get Stamps"

I popped into the Post Office yesterday to buy some stamps for my Christmas cards, and the line was as long as... well, it was long.

I opted for the stamp vending machine instead, and purchased these adorable Christmas stamps for $8.20. Which is all well and good, as I had a crisp tenner in my wallet.

Did you know that the little machine gives coins as change? Coins and only coins? It does. And did you know that it gives dollar coins as change? Oh, it does. And did you know that dollar coins even exist?

I did not know this. And they're not the Sacajawea coins of legend. No, they have good old G dub on the face, Lady Liberty on the back, and they look like fucking Chuck E. Cheese tokens.

No shopkeep is going to accept this crapper of a coin! It's like trying to buy a bottle of water with a one hundred dollar bill.

And, not because I feel I should explain my insane references, but I absolutely love the running gag in this Friends episode.

Ross: "Hey, was Monica here?"
Rachel: "Yeah."
Ross: "Yeah, I want my money back."
Rachel: "You probably need that for stamps, right?"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't know about the machines giving only change or the $1 coins. Also, I actually saw a guy try to pay for something totaling $1.68 with a $100 bill. Why are you even trying?

Anonymous said...

The only problem with the dollar coin is that I lose it just as easily as a quarter, but it is worth 4 quarters! I cant wait for the day until everything is credit card only. And when that day comes, I cant wait for the day until it is all pay by fingerprint only.

Heather said...

lem - I usually buy my stamps directly from the nice stamp guy at the L'Enfant Plaza post office, but you can see how that might present a problem now.

shane - EXACTLY. My dad's been waiting for the fingerprint form of currency for years now.

JLR said...

Yeah, someone will probably accuse you of holding up the line if you try to use them. "No, you're holding up the line."

I loved both of your t.v. references!

Heather said...

jlr - Thanks! I think that I am going to watch that 30 Rock now.