Friday, December 21, 2007

The Time My Car Got Stuck in the Driveway and I Had to Lay in the Street to Free It From the Evil, Evil Snow

So there's snow here. Snow that fell in many, many inches and which did not melt immediately the next day.

In fact, as I had stayed at Mike's on the night of the snowfall, and I had to aim for the driveway with a wing and a prayer, my car was ultimately trapped once the plows came through late that night. We had a date night planned on Tuesday, and in my excitement to leave, I may have underestimated the height and pure evil-ness of the snow drift blocking my driveway.

I really thought that I had hit the gas. I really thought that I would just bust through the snow pile and be off. I really thought that my little 'Scort was a force.

I really thought wrong.

My poor little car got mad stuck. Half in the street, half in the driveway, the 'Scort was PISSED. I thought that it was just a matter of getting rid of the snow behind the tires, but the smell of burning rubber told me that it was more than just a bit of snow. The tires were on the ground, but the underside of the car was stuck on the snow.

So there I was, laying on my stomach in the street, trying to remove the snow from underneath the car. I cleared out bits of snow on both sides and then attempted to put the car in reverse. I did this about a million times, but my windshield scraper was only so long. I was absolutely soaked through, and after twenty minutes or so, in tears. Plus, I was a little nervous that someone was going to come barreling down the street in a car that said, "suck it" to snow, and that it would spin wildly out of control, hit the 'Scort, and annihilate me in the ridiculous process.

Yes, a bit much, I know, but I was distraught. And covered in snow.

I finally wised up and went to beg for help. Just as I climbed up the stairs to the porch next door, Bob the Neighbor answered the door. He was putting on his coat, about to come tow the 'Scort out from oblivion. Thank goodness, as I was about ten seconds from just leaving the damn thing to its own devices.

Thanks to a big American truck and a tow rope, my little car was free in seconds. Thanks to Bob. And no thanks to you, snow.

No comments: