Saturday, January 01, 2011

2011? Really?

Happy New Year, you guys!

How was your night? Mine was pretty sweet, except for the migraine, but we'll get to that later.

Mike and I joined my brother and sister-in-law at Roast, a phenomenal restaurant in downtown Detroit. The food was fantastic - we all ordered steaks and shared a few different sides. Was it the best steak I've ever had? Pretty much (though the steak I devoured at the Boulevard Woodgrill in Arlington, Virginia, is probably a close second).

(Oh, and let me interject here - I was forbidden from taking pictures by both Mike and Steven. They said that it would be "embarrassing." So I do not have pictures of said food, or of any of us. All to keep the sensitive men folk from being embarrassed.)

Now, I like my steaks cooked, but just barely. I can't imagine anyone ever wanting a steak to be cooked well done. It makes me shudder, actually. And as I am currently reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, I can pretty much guarantee that you never want to order a nice cut of meat to be cooked well done.

Trust me on this. And read that book.

Anyway, I ordered mine medium rare. And wow. It was amazing.

Enough about my food. I know that you are all dying to find out what wild and crazy things that we did after dinner.

Well, first we drove back to Mike's house, stopping for gas on the way, because apparently I am a complete moron who only notices the fuel tank when it is practically blinking red and threatening to explode. Wondering if we were going to be hoofing it down Michigan Avenue? Priceless.

It gets infinitely more ridiculous from here. And by ridiculous, I mean lame. Super lame!

I had made some delicious snacks, including a twist on caprese salad, cookies, chips and guacamole, and even deviled eggs. I introduced my brother to black velvets.

Then we played the Harry Potter Scene It! dvd game. Because we are THAT COOL.

We also played the Friends version (a Christmas gift), but I was preemptively silenced for five seconds before I was allowed to answer a question. It was UNFAIR. I still won, of course, but still. It's the principle of the thing.

After they all got their asses handed to them, we returned to Harry Potter, briefly switching to tv at 11:59 to see Dick Clark in all his robotic glory.

My head had been pounding for some time at this point, and once Steven and Kari left for home, I popped a migraine pill and fell asleep in the living room. I don't know what time I woke up and went to bed, but it was a great way to ring in the new year!

Here's to a great 2011 and to ALWAYS remembering that red wine makes my head want to explode.

No comments: