Wednesday, February 24, 2010

In Which GERD Overstays Its Welcome

I don't mean for this blog to be turning into the Blog of GERD, but since it's pretty much been my life for the past few days, you get to suffer along with me! I'm hoping that it's at least slightly entertaining.

Yesterday wasn't easy. I stopped for tea (white tea!) on my way to work, and it was great until right after the first sip - when the burning started up again. I waited for the tea to cool completely and I was able to drink it without too much pain. But when it's snowing, you want something warm, right? Gah. POINT: GERD.

Lunch also presented a problem. I really wanted soup, but knew that it would be a waste. I ended up getting sushi, and it was a brilliant choice - soft, no pointy edges, and a mild taste. I had water instead of hot green tea. POINT: Heather.

Per doctor's orders, I have to try and not eat anything for four hours before going to bed. Which sets my dinner at 6 pm at the latest. That makes my life difficult as I usually don't get home until 5:30 at the earliest. I enjoy relaxing for a bit, planning dinner in my head, and then casually cooking it. I usually eat by 7:30 or 8. But no more!

(This also raises a question: So I eat dinner at 6, I go to bed at 10, and I get up at 6 am. I will have not eaten anything for twelve hours. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?)

Anyway, I don't get paid until Friday, so my fridge is pretty much empty but for condiments and refilled bottles of tap water. And an unopened bottle of champagne from my mom. There might be some eggs in there, too, but I wouldn't recommend eating them. POINT: GERD.

I reheated some spaghetti sauce from the parents and cooked up some pasta. Delicious, right? Turns out, spaghetti sauce is super acidic. So I ended up eating Cheerios from the box for dinner, and I was full and just fine. POINT: Heather?

Winner: GERD. No one wins against GERD. At least not in the first week, apparently.


Deals On Wheels said...

I had a problem with GERD...what?...10 years ago? I can't remember. It was awful. I actually got ulcers in my esophagus, which they later decided to cut out and test for whatever they test ulcers in your esophagus for. I just remember the pain and pressure. It was awful.

Luckily, the problem for me cleared up with medicine and eating more than 15 cups of coffee daily in college. I think I was more or less "cured" by grad school (although, I am still very aware of acidic foods/drinks and no longer drink coffee on an empty stomach).

Oh, and get this: my doctor was Lisa Loeb's father. Apparently, the Loeb's are from Dallas. Who knew?

Heather said...

deals - 15 cups of coffee in an entire day and NO food? Lord above. I thought that I was bad with three cans of Coke :)

I think that I am going to allow myself coffee once in a while, but not for some time. I still can't think about it without feeling sick to my stomach.