Tuesday, September 22, 2009

If You Give a Heather a Cookie...

My Aunt Sally and I are quite alike. Not only am I named after her (my middle name), we like the same books, appreciate similar things, and bond in our spirituality. And we both like to eat uncooked cake batter. So there's that. Talking to her the other day, I realized how alike we really are, and it helped explain some of my... eccentricities.

She was telling me how she had gone into the bathroom to brush her hair and subsequently found herself cleaning out the vanity drawers. She came across a pair of misplaced scissors, and as she returned them to the kitchen, she started washing a few dishes. Before she knew it, half of the house was clean/ransacked and she gave up and started watching tv.

She called this, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Syndrome," which is pretty much the best description ever.

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie is a children's book, published in 1985 - a book we owned and loved (but don't get me started on Poor Teddy, because I will probably start crying. Ah, another thing I get from my aunt!). The narrator explains that if you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to want a glass of milk. If you get him a glass of milk, he's going to want a straw. This goes on and on and on and it's basically the story of my life.

And now I know that it's in my genes, which makes me feel a little better.

No comments: