Monday, August 03, 2009

I Shot a Gun, Y'all

I don't remember the exact moment that I became close with my sister-in-law, but it's one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I always wanted a sister, and now I have one! But without all of the painful memories of childhood fighting and parental favoritism.

Last year, my parents rented some cottages up in Oscoda, Michigan. We were right on Lake Huron and it was gorgeous. Kari and Steven and the babies stayed the whole week, as did my parents, while Mike and I came and went as we could.

It fell through this year, due to some POOR PLANNING, and so we were out of luck.

Then, Kari and I decided that we would create a girls' trip for us and my mom.

She had become quite fond of a wine I purchased last summer on a trip to Traverse City, and we were bound and determined to find it here in southwestern Michigan. After checking here, here, here, and here, we discovered that we were out of luck. It was supposedly only sold at their winery.

(Turns out, there is a liquor store in town that carries it, but we discovered that a little too late.)

Traverse City was a little too far, and lodging was a little too expensive. I mean, I know that it's the high season, but $200 per night at the Econolodge? Um, no. We decided on the just as lovely, more affordable west coast of the state.

I booked us a hotel, we arrived in Ludington, and spent the rest of the weekend driving down the coast to Holland, stopping at wineries along the way. We met up with Emily and her fiance, Tim, in Holland and ended up staying at his parents' cottage on Saturday night.

Sisters!

Me and the Lady

Random flowers near the coast

The purpose of the trip

The excitement before...

...the contentment after!


Just as she shot a gun for the first time...

...and just after that.


Just after I shot my target on the first try.
THAT'S RIGHT.
I am an expert marks woman.

Emily's first attempt. Timmy was so proud!

God smiles upon my shooting ability.

And then it rained again.

At another winery.
I am a really fat boy.
Maybe I shouldn't be drinking.

And I don't know what to day about this, but it ended the trip.

No comments: