Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Free TV. Just the Way I Like It. Free.

You know how people say that you learn something new every day? Well today, I learned that I can watch old cartoons for free on my "On Demand" television programming. I won't mention the cable carrier, because I think that they are an evil conglomerate, but I also can't complain because its internet and cable are built into my rent. And so I don't actually know how much they charge.

But I do know that people were mighty pissed that year that they didn't carry the Big Ten network.

Anyway, I love cartoons. I love them all, but especially Scooby Doo. Sweet Jesus, how I love Scooby Doo. But the "new" episodes are pure crap. I only have to watch a few moments of one of those abominations before I want to punch the television.

(And can we all agree that Scrappy Doo is one of the worst characters ever on any television program ever in the history of time? God, he sucks.)

So Kari, my fabulous sister-in-law, always in search of ways to entertain her children, showed me that there are free cartoons available ON DEMAND.

And lo and behold, Scooby Doo! The old episodes! From the seventies!

Also, that reminds me of an email I sent to Mike's cousin Kimmy once:

I just watched a Scooby Doo cartoon and was wondering if you've seen it so that we can discuss the underlying themes. Here are some questions to ponder:

1. Just HOW ridiculous is Fred? Explain the significance of his scarf.
2. Is Scooby misunderstood, or just a big bully with an insatiable craving for human food?
3. What does the Mystery Machine say about society?
4. Is Scrappy Doo the worst television character ever?
5.The pirate ship is a metaphor for America's relations with the UK. Discuss.

It's a bit of an inside joke, but it certainly is fitting here today.

Right, so here are the points I've been trying to make:

1. Cable conglomerates suck, but at least there are free cartoons.
2. Scrappy Doo is the worst.
3. My spellchecker doesn't like the word "Doo."
4. Mike's family thinks that I am insane.

DISCUSS.

6 comments:

JLR said...

Love it!
For a long time, I had a decoy pen cup on my desk full of pens I don't like, and I kept the ones I did like in my drawer. Very effective. People only ever stole the ones I hate.

Waayers said...

Heather, don't hate me, but I actually liked Scrappy Doo when I was a kid. Puppy power!

And JLR, I don't know you, but that idea is genius!!

JLR said...

yeah, I meant to leave my comment on your previous post. Whoops! But I love Scooby Doo. And I always hated scrappy. (no offense, waayers)

(and also--thanks. :) the idea was born of desperation, as good ideas often are!)

Heather said...

jlr - What the hell? Nice job paying attention to the post on which you are commenting :) But yes, fake pen cup seems ingenious. Also, I am very sad that I won't get to meet you and rr at Dealey's wedding this weekend. I hope that it is awesome!

waayers - YOU ARE DEAD TO ME.

JLR said...

I'm so sorry that we missed you. She looked bee-yoo-ti-ful.

Heather said...

jlr - I know. I wish I could have made it. How on earth will I ever discover what the two of you look like?!?!?