Tuesday, November 13, 2007

And so...

Um.

So.

I'm sort of... moving.

Back to Michigan.

Yeah.

You see, it's been a possibility for some time now, and it just so happened that a job opened up at my old museum and so? I am moving.

Over Thanksgiving weekend.

I KNOW.

Basically, I am freaking the hell out trying to figure out how I am going to get everything done, get everything packed, and get everything taken care of in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS, and these panic attacks are not my particular shade of pink.

Anyone want to sublet my apartment? Lots of closet space!

FREAKING OUT.

What I am most happy about is that I am not leaving this great city because I don't like it anymore - quite the contrary. I love living here, I love working here (even though the job might be lacking), and I love being here.

It's just...

I've lived here for over five years and for some time now, it's been clear to me that I've reached the end of the relationship. I love DC... but I'm not in love with DC anymore.

Like any relationship, moving here and living here on my own has transformed who I am. I left Michigan in the summer of 2002, and at only 22 years old, far from independent. I had always had roommates, always had a set of friends, and things were always planned for me.

I moved here alone. I didn't know a soul. It was... sobering.

I started grad school and made a few good friends, but it was my internship at the National Museum of American History that really got the ball rolling. I made friends there that have become friends for life, and to be completely honest, I really wasn't expecting that!


Now, over five years later, I have a bank of memories - favorite moments, amazing friends, and great roommates.

But what I need most is a new phase in my life, and this is my solution.

And while I'll most likely be on hiatus for a bit later in the month, I won't be quitting this here blog. I have to brainstorm a new name, however, and while "Detroit Donut" rings a nice, smoggy bell, I don't think that it would be the best fit.

I wonder if just "The Donut" is taken... Any ideas for a new name?

I have loved blogging in this city, and I hope that you'll continue to read once I relocate to the charming Midwest.

I promise that people there will generate just as many stories for me as they do here.

Does anyone have any boxes?

Or beer?

8 comments:

JLR said...

AAA! How exciting! I'm sad that we won't hear anymore d.c. stories from you, but I'm uber happy for you. Congrats! and, uh, good luck with all that moving stuff--'cause I don't see that going well.

Heather said...

jlr - The move is going to be painful. 550 miles in a Uhaul is probably going to kill me.

But there will be amazing stories from the Midwest. Seriously. You don't even know.

Unknown said...

Your first Midwest post will be a tour and recap of events from the office of Completely Fucking Incompetent.

I am drooling in anticipation....for both the post and of seeing you in 3 weeks!

Heather said...

K-10 - I can't believe that we're actually going to be in the same place at the same time. Is amazing.

I am so taking pictures in your office there.

Waayers said...

I can't believe you're finally moving!! I don't know what I'll do without you....although I hardly ever see you now, so I'm kind of used to our relationship via email. Seriously though, I wouldn't have any friends in DC if it weren't for your mad social planning skillz. Everytime someone asks me, "how do you know so-and-so?" I think for a minute and I say, "through Heather." They all connect to you if you trace it back far enough.

Heather said...

waayers - Well that's good! I like that I was able to bring people together. And I'll be back to visit, obviously :)

Deals On Wheels said...

But who will I visit now? Sniff.

Can I visit you in MI? I don't think I've ever been there. Will you be offering a Eminem tour of the city? :P

Heather said...

Yeah, Deals, because you made so many trips to DC after you left ;)

No Eminem tour, as I am scared to drive in those parts of the state. Sorry.