Sunday, February 11, 2007

DC - 1, NoVa - 0

I ventured out to NoVa twice this past week for some evening festivities, and the smoke was horrendous. I mean, I've hated the smoke forever, so it's not like I was surprised, but after getting used to being able to breathe in DC bars, it was more than a little disconcerting.

I saw a band in Falls Church on Thursday night, and while it wasn't super packed, it was pretty smoky - febreeze was my friend that night. It was a cool bar, though, and a great time - plus there was good airflow. Saturday night, however, wasn't as drafty. Dr Dremo's was basically a lung cancer haven. We left after an hour because it seemed like we were the only ones not lighting up and our eyes just couldn't take it anymore (sorry about that, John - hope you had a Happy Birthday and are breathing easy today!).

Hell, when I walked into the Brickskeller last week, I was amazed at my ability to see across the room. It was so nice to not smell like a smoke bomb for a week. After Saturday night in Arlington, I don't know that my coat will ever be the same. It's a shame because there are some really cool, original bars in Arlington - I guess I'll look forward to warmer weather when the patios open up. Anyone know of plans to ban smoking in NoVa? Could that even happen?

No comments: