Saturday, February 10, 2007

Intros and Interludes

Is this the new trend?

I was a little late in picking up my own copy of the Killers' new cd, Sam's Town, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't anticipating it. And, it's pretty damn good.

HOWEVER.

What is with placing "intro" songs and interludes on an album and passing them off as complete tracks? Pete Yorn did the intro thing on his Day I Forgot album, but at least he had thirteen other tracks to follow. The Killers have only ten tracks plus an 'enterlude' and an 'exitlude' which is basically the same exact "song" with slightly different words. I'd bet that this phenomenon is present on many other albums as well.

I understand the importance of creating a cohesive album - one that flows and tells a story. There are few that accomplish this (Jamie Cullum's Twentysomething and Rubyhorse's Rise are good examples), and Sam's Town does a good job . But were those 'interludes' necessary?

Sure, there are many other things in this world to get annoyed about, but this just seems lazy.

No comments: