Thursday, September 13, 2007

I. Have. HAD IT.

I'm getting a new computer.

Over in my world, times? They are a-changin'. Life is getting increasingly more complicated, but I have a plan, and I need to make things happen. Right? For many, many reasons, it has become essential that I get my home computer back online, and I thought that it was going to be an easy one-two-three... gmail chat! Picasa! iTunes! Woo!

Annnnnnd... we all know where this is going, yes?

Before I moved to DC for grad school, I didn't have a computer. I either frequented the many computer labs at school or borrowed my roommate's (which was a major distraction, what with Snood right there on the desktop...), and this worked very well for four years.

But then it was time for DC, a one-bedroom apartment, and a computer lab full of undergrads. Ew. My parents wanted to help me out, but I didn't want to ask for too much, so I ended up getting a basic desktop with few capabilities. All I really needed it for was to write papers, right?

I got an eMachine. A low cost, basic computer. And it was fine.

Fast-forward five years. I'm done with school, I have the degree. I had my computer all set up with the innernets and the chatting and the downloading of music and pictures. All was well. All was lovely! And then I moved to the new apartment.

A new, loooooong apartment. The big, sweaty Comcast guy didn't have enough wire to connect my computer, so I dealt with it. I used my roommate's laptop. Until now.

I needs the innernets, people. I needs my gmail and I needs my blog. But mainly, I needs the online courses so that I can better myself!

I bought a wireless card yesterday. It was on sale, and it matched our router. I left work all happy that I would be able to chat with K-10 again, considering our mobile bills have been astronomical lately, and that I could use iTunes and Picasa at home instead of work. Yay!

But. When I inserted the cd warm-up downloader thing, my computer went all ape shit and spewed an error message my way:

"No, you can't have innernets! No! Our insides are all boinked up and it's your fault for having too many pictures of your niece and far too many John Denver mp3s. Suck it!"

I spent an hour on the phone with some call center in India and it was decided that my computer is crap and needs a buttload of memory and probably a whole overhaul.

People. I don't love my eMachine enough. I want a new, shiny, pretty computer. I just have no idea where to start.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The only two requirements for your computer are as follows:

1. Gmail chat, because even though we both now have MAs (woot!), we have shitty jobs and are poor.

2. Oregon Trail.

That is all.

Heather said...

I will be dead of dysentery before you know it. That's what this computer does to me! Dysentery!

Or cholera. That was always a bummer.

Anonymous said...

Get a Mac. Mathilde is my baby and I love her.
They're so easy to use a Grandma could do it!

Heather said...

lem - I was considering a Mac, but I've gotten too used to PCs at this point. Unless there's some major sale or something, I'll be sticking with a PC. But thanks!