Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Devil & Miss Prym

For years I had been told that Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist was a must-read, but grad school got in the way and I never made it happen.

The Devil and Miss Prym had been on my wish list for a while, mainly because the cover was so enticing (I know, I know - I'm also the same woman who buys new wine for their labels, so... marketing works!), but also because it was recommended by my super sweet book club. They've yet to steer me wrong, so I gave it a chance.

There is a small town; it doesn't matter where, as it stands in for any town in the world. A man appears in this small town with bars of gold and a plan - he is determined to prove that men are basically evil.

Sets up pretty nicely, eh?

He soon encounters Miss Prym, a single, pretty young woman working as a bar maid, and he selects her as his mouthpiece to the town.

He soon presents the town with an unbelievable wager: perform the unthinkable, and they can keep the gold.

And there's a time limit. Of course.

Like Miss Prym, I am an optimist. I believe that there are bad people in this world, just as there are good people. And there are a lot of people in between. We all sin, we all have immoral thoughts, and we all tend to find ourselves in very difficult situations. Sometimes there is no right answer, but sometimes there is only one answer.

What will the town do?

The Devil & Miss Prym is slightly predictable, but there are some really nice surprises. My favorite thing about the book is the way it made me feel - it made me feel good. It was like the feeling I get after leaving Mass and the feeling I get in a ballet class all rolled together. It was spiritual and yet very earthly. I closed the cover with a satisfied smile on my face.

The Alchemist is next.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the alchemist=amazing

Carrie M said...

"My favorite thing about the book is the way it made me feel - it made me feel good"

That's Coelho. That's the Alchemist. I *almost* picked this up at the airport and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't. But now I will, thanks!

Anonymous said...

May I borrow it?

Heather said...

megan - I am torn between starting The Alchemist or starting Perfume... Methinks Perfume will be first.

carrie - I am so excited to read the alchemist. I have a feeling that it's going to be better than this one, even though I enjoyed it very much... Does that make sense?

lem - It's all yours! (Plus, it's a quick read.) Have you finished Fluke and the other Moore book already?

Anonymous said...

I finished Bloodsucking Fiends awhile ago. I really enjoyed it. Haven't started Fluke. Mike gave me a book that I have to read. I think he actually wanted me to sit down and start as soon as he handed it to me. It's a fast read too.

Heather said...

lem - Bloodsucking Fiends has a sequel that just came out - You Suck: A Love Story. It follows the same characters. Looks great! I love Christopher Moore!

Fluke is also a pretty quick read. But you can borrow whatever, whenever.

Heather said...

Aart - thanks for the links. I really love the quote of the day.