Friday, September 21, 2007

TiVo Me

Against my better judgement, I tuned in for the 59th annual Emmy Awards Sunday night. Each year, I am annoyed that quality shows are completely ignored in the nomination process (Gilmore Girls), and amazing actors are snubbed of nominations (Kelly Bishop, John C. McGinley). And yet? I still watch.

Thing is, why do I care? I know the shows that me laugh (Scrubs, 30 Rock, Ugly Betty, The Office) and cry (Scrubs, Ugly Betty, The Office). I know which shows bring me closer to people I care about (Rules of Engagement), and I know which shows are the best ever made (Arrested Development). So why do I need to watch an awards show at all?

For the dresses, I suppose. Pretty!

This year, there wasn't much else on that night, and I was actually really interested in some of the winners. And unlike past years, I was pleasantly surprised with some of the wins:

America Ferrera, Best Actress in a Comedy for "Ugly Betty." Brilliant. She is such an amazing actress and comedienne. She plays the 'fish-out-of-water' role to perfection and has a brilliant supporting cast behind her. Watch it for her geek romance with Henry the Accountant, but especially for Amanda the secretary and Marc the Executive Assistant. Trust me here.

For me, however, the penultimate award was the sweetest: Best Comedy. While my beloved Scrubs failed to garner a nomination, The Office, Scrubs, and Ugly Betty all did. Entourage and Two and a Half Men rounded out the nominees (both of which I've watched and have made me chuckle, but never really impressed me much). I fully expected Ugly Betty to bring it home, so imagine my surprise and delight when 30 Rock was announced! I know that I've mentioned this fantastic show on several occasions, and you might still be watching something else...

But listen to Tina Fey! "Please join the dozens and dozens of people who watch this show." It premieres on NBC at 8:30 p.m. on October 11.

Oh, and watch The Office, too.

Oh, and buy me a TiVo, because Ugly Betty and 30 Rock will be aired at the same time. Gah!

No comments: