Sunday, June 26, 2005

Shenandoah National Park

I love camping. My mom is a teacher, so she's always had the summers off. My aunt, her sister, is also a teacher. Let's just say that I saw my cousins all of the time. We would go camping together at least a few times each summer.

Now, it's not like we camped in the wilderness or anything. No, we went to this little campground in a Michigan state park and only stayed for a few nights. I think that's all my mom and aunt could handle, even with only four kids total. We were obnoxious. And my brother and I fought like mountain lions.

Since I've lived in DC, I haven't had the chance to camp. Mostly because I didn't know many people when I first moved here, but also because no one ever wanted to go. But then I got the chance!

We camped here:
We saw lots of these (deer, not Ford trucks. Though there were a lot of F-150s, now that I think about it):
And a tons of these:
Then we hiked and came to this:

Later, we had too many of these:

Sunday morning, we ate here (it was definitely as dirty as it looks):

And driving home, I threw up on the side of the road. Yum (stupid strep throat medicine)!

All in all, the best weekend I've had in a really long time. I can't wait to go back!

3 comments:

Omnipotent Poobah said...

Heather,

What a nice step back in time. When I was 16 I backpacked the length of Shenandoah.

I got achillies tendonitis that hurt something fierce, but with each painful step I could drink in the beauty around me.

Thanks for the little sojourn down Memory Lane.

MB said...

Great photos; I feel like I was there with you!

Heather said...

Thanks! All credit goes to my sexy new digital camera :)