Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Annual Retreat, part 2

No more retreat, so that's cool. We spent most of the day updating the action plan, which, if you've never dealt with said document, be happy. Then we went and toured Amazonia at the zoo which was AMAZING. After returning to the sad little seminar room, we finished up and played some games. The only good prize offered today was for a rambunctious game of BINGO: one full day of annual leave. Who won? The intern. Who gets paid nothing. And shows up whenever he wants. So that blew.

But then we got to go home. Early. So that rocked. I retreated to my room and watched Friends DVDs on my computer. But then I heard someone get home, so I instinctively closed my door.

Which brings me to Creepy Roommate, CreePaul. As I have yet to write about him, I should explain. Awesome Roommate and I moved into the fab house on Capitol Hill knowing that we wouldn't be able to afford the three-bedroom place without posting on Craigslist. We met many people, most of whom were bizzar-o. Paul was semi normal and didn't creep us out within the first five minutes, so we chose him. At first, everything was fine. He was nice, normal, and not creepy. After a few weeks, that started to change.

Weird comments and "announcements" would find their way in to everyday conversation (like, "I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is my summer." What?). He also made negative comments about the dating lives of Awesome Roommate and I. After living here for a week. Then my (male) friend from Ann Arbor came to visit for a few days, and the inappropriateness grew exponentially. And then, the concert...

One of the (several) things that finally set me off the edge happened when I was driving the three of us (us + Waayers - yay!) to the Legwarmers concert. My lane was about to end without warning, and I was all, "Oh, fuck me." That comment does not solicit a response. Ever. It's an observation like "oh balls," but better because unnecessary swearing is always better. Obviously. What he said wouldn't have bothered me so much, but it was just one of the many comments he had made up to that point. What does CreePaul say, then, all slimy-like? "You should be careful about saying that when I'm in the car." Wink wink. RIGHT. Because what I actually meant was, "I'm going to pull the car over, hop in the back seat, and hop on you while Waayers watches from the front seat." It was stupid and inappropriate. Then he got drunk off his ass at the concert. So that was great. I ended up telling him off that night after the concert and really pissed him off.

I know that it seems like I am overreacting, but honestly, there's just not enough room to list the ridiculously crazy-ass things that he's said and done since he moved in.

Now, if he walks into the room when I am there, he says nothing. Awesome. Tension is fun! I hide in my room (aka the land of no cell phone coverage) most of the time as Awesome Roommate is usually with her bf.

I am completely aware that this needs to change: spending my free time holed up in my room and passively ignoring him is not constructive and can only get worse.

Just give me a little more time.

No comments: